Wood Texturing Question: Surface of Tiny Beads

A few years ago, I saw an ad for some wood finishing product (maybe Formby's). The ad showed a photo of a stair post made of some really rich, detailed wood, carved with one of those abstract fluer-de-lis shapes.

But the wood's surface had also been carved/punched/shaped into a mosaic of little wood pebbling. Tiny beads, maybe 1/16" to 1/8" in diameter. (Obviously, this was a fine-grain wood.) The distribution was pleasantly random, and it had a nice, almost leathery look to it. It was a really nice piece of woodworking.

I'd love to be able to use this pattern on a project or two, but I'm not sure how it could be accomplished. It appears that the texture was punched in, bead by bead. But it occurred to me that a fine-tip beading bit and something like the Compucarver could, conceivably, be ginned to turn this sort of pattern out. And then there's the possibility that this surface could be ordered from a professional mill.

Assuming I'm doing a decent job of describing this surface texture, can someone offer some insight into doing it? If it's done with a punch, what punch'd be recommended? Are there mills that make this stuff? Etc., etc., etc.?

Reply to
Brian Siano

The most common tool I see that is popular in woodturning is the pneumatic needle scaler. A small one will do fine, and the pebble finish is acheived by rounding the heads of the needles. I see lots of this on vases, pots, bowls, etc.

Go to WoodCentral. They were just discussing this on the woodturning forum.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On turnings try something like this

carvings

Joe Gorman

The second one is closet to what I was thinking of, tho the work I saw had rounded pebbling and an apparently nonrepeating pattern.

I get the feeling that I ought to post a pictrue of this somewhere.

Reply to
Brian Siano

Try searching for leather working stamping tools.

Reply to
Nova