Wood-like PVC Gutters?

Are there any heavy pvc (or any plastic)gutters that have the contours/appearance, and strength characteristics of traditional molded wood gutters? Fastened thru the backside only, without the use of long spikes bridging the trough? And strong enuf to handle the impact of an extension ladder placed against it, and then the weight of a man climbing and working on the ladder?

Reply to
Peter Michaud

Pete,

I had seamless steel gutters installed on my house by a local contractor. The steel is textured to look like woodgrain and are stronger than aluminum and better looking than vinyl or PVC with all the joints required.

These steel gutters went up with internal clips that are invisible and (after two years) are holding fine. No sags anywhere.

True the steel gutters were more expensive, but after installing PVC gutters on one house and hating the look, then having aluminum gutters fail on another house I decided the steel gutters were worth the money.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Steel? Aluminum? I hav only seen thhese things made of Zinc or Copper if worth anything, plastic ones breaking much to easily. We are talking the the channel at the roofs eaves to have rainwater disposed of in an orderly way, aren't we?

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Juergen Hannappel asks:

Plastic does not break easily if the correct type is used and it is properly installed. I've got seamless aluminum gutters on this house. They've been in place for about 16 years with no problems that I wouldn't have with steel or copper. I've never heard of zinc as an overall material for gutters, but there were, and may still be, many that were galvanized steel. Most have rusted away, and I have to wonder about seamless steel: how is it coated that it resists being formed, or is it formed differently than the sheet aluminum that becomes seamless aluminum gutters?

In the past I've leaved with copper gutters, galvanized steel gutters, aluminum gutters. All worked decently, and my only problems came from a house with wood gutters lined with formed steel. Those had rusted, and the wood had rotted, and my landlady must have had a formidable expense to replace the mess.

I was just glad I didn't own that house.

Charlie Self "The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out of it." Doris Day

Reply to
Charlie Self

Juergen Hannappel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de:

Herr Doktor, you Germans often build things in a manner which lasts for many years. Such is not always the case in the United States. Unfortunately.

Short term thinking frequently leads to poor investments...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch