Wood for Trellis

Sorry, I meant - I wondered if *those particular gardeners* shared your concerns. I know a lot of people share *your* concerns. :)

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

You're a little behind the curve, I'm afraid. Purple tomatoes and pink eggplants are standard items of commerce. However you can't blame them on Burpee. The purple tomatoes are heirloom variaties that originated in Russia (IIRC) and the pink eggplant are an Asian variety.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

Who's on first? :-) I think we miscommunicablated! About those gardeners, maybe they didn't want to make holes in the wall behind the trellis.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I probably am way behind. I keep planting the same tomatoes based on what tastes best. But, this year, I rototilled a ridiculously large garden, at least compared to what I've done in past years. I'm gonna plant EVERYTHING. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If you live in the north, get a catalog from Johnny's Select Seeds. Lots of good stuff for cold climates. Including a selection of Russian tomatoes.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

theoretically

Cook's Garden is interesting, too. Lots of leafy greens good for early & late season, when outrageous frosts waste the normal lettuces. This reminds me...gotta set up the cold frame before the snow flies. Another thing on the list.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Living in this part of the country, early frosts are the _last_ thing we have to worry about. We deal more with companies like "Southern Seeds".

--RC (in the low desert) Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

Well, MY biggest problem right now is that I planted some bulbs yesterday and the damned things haven't made flowers yet. I'm gonna sue somebody.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

GE, Sylvania, or some no-name brand?

Were they incandascents? You should have used rapid-start floursecents!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Halogen daffodils.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yes and yes, also black locust, honey locust, sassafrass, osage orange (aka hedge, aka bois d'arc, aka bodark), Catalpa, or Cypress will all last a while even in ground contact.

Since you're not worried if it only lasts a year, white oak or Doug fir would do fine.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

What are typical 2x10s? Pine? It just dawned on me (while setting up the cold frame today) that I built that out of untreated 2x10s and it's lasted 6 years so far. It was never IN the ground, but spent those years ON the ground, through rain & snow, and there's no sign of rot.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The Cheapest 2x10s are SPF, (Spruce, Pine, or Fir). Around here they are usually spruce but in your area they may be pine and I suppose in some places fir depending on what is cheapest locally. They typically will not be hemlock, doug fir or southern yellow pine which have their own species groups.

How long a wood lasts will be highly dependant on your climate.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

To add to the confusion, lumber yards in Long Island and NJ carry another type of wood: Fuh :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter