will grizzly glue hold on poliurethan finish

I am about finished with my book case, it seems to be really nice, but i have a question for the finish run. The constructin is quite complitcated so it would be easier to do 220 sandings between poliurethan before it will be assembled. I was planning to put first coat then do final sanding, assemble it and put the final coat on ready piece. Is it reasonable or will the first layer of poly weaken the glue? thanks for all the help i hope to post the finished picture of my first achievement soon ;-)

pawel

Reply to
Pawel

If you put the polyurethane on first, then no matter how good the glue is, the overall joint can only be as strong as the polyurethane-to-wood bond, which is probably weaker than a direct glue-to-wood bond would be (otherwise people would use polyurethane for glue!). At least, that's my guess -- but I haven't tried it, so I could certainly be wrong.

It shouldn't be too hard to mask off the areas where the joints will go with masking tape before putting on the first coat of polyurethane would go, I'd think.

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses

I'd recommend taping off your joinery before finishing. then taping off your finish before glueing. I think. Tom

Reply to
tom

Thanks a lot, now it seems to me sooo obvious.

pawel

Reply to
Pawel