why is popular so nice to work, but such a pain to Finnish!

can I just rant for a few, I like working with popular it, it's cheep enough that I'm not paniced if I mess up, and by and large it's a very attractive wood, but THE BLOCHING! I did two coats of minwax stain conditioner, let one dry over night, then put another on an hour before I stained and it still blotched!

ok now I'm done it's ok, I'll be fine

Reply to
Richard Clements

Why? Because it's popular. Even in Finland. I've found though that stuff made from popular keeps me awake at night. It goes cheep, cheep, cheep all night. And when it gets older, it crows at sunrise.

Butt that's wye aye switched two poplar. Knot such a pane too Finnish.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Paint!

Reply to
firstjois

Never heard of popular. Are you referring to poplar?

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

ground up babies of course - stooopid....

(and I don't even dare sign this one......)

Reply to
BobS

But if you thin the paint too much, you'll have to do it again...hence:

Repaint!! And thin no more!

Reply to
Robatoy

[snip]>>>

Another escapee from the state home for the criminally silly... :-) j4

Reply to
jo4hn

I heard that Oil of Olay is made from the sweat of Mexican bullfighters.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Human Beings (beans)

Reply to
justme

More important, is he referring to poplar as in Populus sp. , or that magnolia masquerading under the noble name of poplar? World of difference between the two.

Reply to
George

Yep, time for ---- the Spanish Inquisition!

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Your first coat of stain conditioner was for naught since you waited too long. The second coat should have fared better, but you learned as I did that the product isn't a miracle cure. In my opinion poplar has very few redeeming qualities and is not a particularly good bargain considering I can get oak, ash, soft maple or Kentucky coffeetree for only pennies more per board foot. It's soft, weak and gets fuzzy no matter what you do. Grain and figure are non-existent, due partly to the fact that the fuzziness destroys any luster any other wood might get from good planing.

Reply to
Hax Planx

MOST people use it where it will not be seen or paint it.

Reply to
Leon

Sounds to me like you got cottonwood rather than poplar, since all the poplar I've seen produces little to no fuzz when worked and actually develops a rather nice luster when planed or finish sanded.

Poplar is still better as secondary wood or under paint, though.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Well, it's strictly a matter of taste, but I like the poplar with the greenish cast with nothing but a shellac finish. The problem is, of course, that the green gradually goes away - not so gradually in sunlight :-).

I built a tall magazine rack for a friend using poplar for the rack and alder for the two uprights and he loves it.

Reply to
lgb

The Inquisition...what a show The Inquisition...here we go...

Reply to
Mark Cooper

YAAAA!!!!! I did NOT expect that! G.D.R. Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

That is, they say, the unvarnished truth.o

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Use a water based stain. I use General Finish. I've had good success. Of course raise and sand the grain first.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com