Who Manufactures WHAT?

Ridgid is part of Emerson Electric.

Reply to
dadiOH

Nobody buys the "real" General tools because they cost too darn much! Not because nobody stocks them. Really, really nice tools, but just too expensive for the average joe.

The 14" planer made in Canada is $3189 in the current promo. They have a chiwanese 20" for $1999 or a chiwanese 15" for $1099.

A General 650/350 table saw is $1999 on sale while a Unisaw can be had for $1499 and General International 250 is around $1100 or even less.

I have a Canadian General drill press bought in 2002 or 2003. The manual was revised in 1976! The design is quite old and for the $800 or so I paid doesn't even have a lifting mechanism like a $350 chiwanese drill press.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Emerson quit making the power tools for Home Depot and they are now made by Techtronics. This happened close to two years ago IIRC.

I actually find the new Ridgid cordless tools to be quite nice and I bought a 12V drill. The cordless tools at least now have a lifetime service agreement.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

And the Ridgid name on the power tools has nothing to do w/ the actual Ridge Tool Co...they just licensed the name.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

General product in the store.

Back when I was shopping for a CS I emailed the one (at the time) listed AZ distributor and never even got a reply.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Reply to
Charles Self

Reply to
Charles Self

Reply to
Charles Self

For the most part, execs who lead the way in manufacturing, or selling, tools do not use tools themselves. It's onward to the golf course, let's play volleyball, or something similar. The companies where the execs do use tools, or take a major part in their design and manufacture, show up on a different screen, which means companies like Veritas and Lie-Nielsen really shine.

Reply to
Charles Self

There is a local dealer that has General on the floor where I live. Not sure if they has a 650, but there was a bunch of General on the floor. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I believe the only tool Emerson now makes for the Ridgid line is their shop vac's.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I believe I read here that Metabo makes the Ridgid 5" random orb sander. I took a look and it's identical - down to the "Made in Germany" on the label.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Until the Corp. is sold again. That's done like I change underware.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Or the oen where they're sanding a new piece of furniture with it?=20 (I wonder of they want us to think the whole piece was built using their tool?)

I've owned and used a Dremel tool for over 30 years now, but if I had never seen one except for in the current commercials, I'd never buy it. Any ad that makes the users look like idiots makes me stay away. (Dremel, and XM radio are two.).=20

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

You don't think Home Depot is going to take a beating if these service agreements aren't honored?

Regardless if Home Depot's name isn't on the agreement, they are the exclusive seller of the tools and they will have angry customers if the agreement isn't honored.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I've not seen that one, but I try not to watch too many commercials...

I own a Dremel as well. I've used it to port heads and manifolds, cut bolts and nails flush with a surface, polish and buff small items, carve wood - but I NEVER even considered planing a door or sanding furniture with it. Yep, marketing geniuses at work... :-\

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I also have had a Dremel for at least 30 years.

It gets/got limited use.

Now that I've had a chance to play with the Fein detail sander along with some of it's attachments, the Dremel will get even less use.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Even American owned companies have been buying/re-branding Chinese tools for some time and sub-contracting out the manufacture of their own designs, too. It doesn't bother me as much WHERE the shareholders live as it does about who is manufacturing a product and what their commitment to quality and customer support is. One of the odd ways of viewing things that I see in this area is opposition to "foreign" Hondas made in Ohio and strong acceptance for "domestic" GM vehicles made in Canada. (I am in the US.) Right now, the top of my s***-list is Jenn-Air and I haven't turned them around to see where they were made, but I have 4 Jenn-Air appliances less than 5 years old that have all failed multiple times...and all cost more than "average" appliances.

George

Reply to
george

Lobby Dosser wrote: :> :> What about Sioux?

: Part of Snap-On, which still Appears to be Snap-On.

Didn't Sioux and Milaukee used to produce twin tools? If so, what does the recent set of changes do to this?

- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Not sure what you mean by 'twin'.