What to do about Sap?

Greetings all!

I'm in the middle of a project that has taken longer than expected to finish (what a surprise, eh?). Back in April I purchase a bunch of S2S Spanish Cedar, and stacked it flat without stickers expecting that it would not sit like that for more than a few weeks. Obviously it sat longer than expected and some of the boards have leaked sap.

How do I clean this up? It's okay if it leaves marks, because the stain is most likely hide them. I just need to clean up the "sticky" without making the wood look worse.

Does this mean the wood is too green, or could this have been avoided if I have stickered the stack?

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Oops, googled after the fact and found the same question from a few years back. The suggestion was to use acetone or laquer thinner to clean the sap.

I'd still appreciate ideas or comments from the currently active members of the group.

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Try turps before acetone. Works well for me and it usually doesn't leave any stain. Good luck ...

Reply to
DIYGUY

I prefer acetone to lacquer thinner. Either will work well, but if you restack the wood, sticker it. You may still run into the same problem. I've had cedar (Eastern red) leak sap several times. It does eventually seem to stop. I made my wife a musical jewelry box of cedar about

15-16-17 years ago, and it was a slight problem before I got done. Cleaning it up twice was enough. It hasn't leaked sap since (or my wife is cleaning it an not telling me).
Reply to
Charlie Self

Acetone or other solvents should remove it

John

Reply to
john

Thanks for the advice folks!!