What's your method for attaching clamping blocks?

I'm trying to come up with the best method for clamping 4 strips of wood cut in triangular cross sections to make up table legs 2" x 2". I tried using double faced tape, but it creeps, so i glued paper between the wooden blocks and the project pieces, but after waiting what seemed like an eternity (probably 45 minutes) when I clamped the parts together the glue wasn't dry under the clamp blocks and it slid out of position. So my question is this: is hot melt glue the best and fastest method to get parallel surfaces for clamping up project parts cut into triangular cross-sections like table legs made from 4 lengths of wood?

I expect to glue two sections together at a time and then glue those resulting sub-assemblies into a completed leg after the glue has dried.

Any other methods?

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Before glueing, lay the pieces side by side with the 90 degree angle points (the inside of the leg) pointing upward. Tape each piece to the adjacent piece with a strip of masking tape (on what will be the outside of the leg).

Now when you roll up the construction, the four pieces should fit snugly together. The masking tape will hold them in place. Try putting pressure on the assembled (unglued) construction by wrapping string or rubber strips (bike tire sections) around it. This will probably work better than clamps. When it looks like it will fit together the way you want it, spread out the taped-together strips; apply a thin layer of wood glue, then roll it up and wrap it.

In spite of my fairly inarticulate description, the procedure is dead simple. I'll be using it to join eight tapered boards together to form a cone with an octagonal cross section (if I can ever figure out the damned angles).

Reply to
Bubba

i was wondering if they have rubber bands [also known as elastic bands in the east] on the west coast ?????

Reply to
Mike Hide

nope.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

How about the parents of some of the trolls

Reply to
bowhunter