What's the longest boards you can get on line?

Thanks for the contact...I've saved it for future reference. I know where Burrton is--we're in Liberal so it's maybe just a little farther as it's farther north, but can run up 51 to Hutch from Pratt and be a pretty straight shot. If I were that close I'd probably end up going to Wichita anyway as have family there...

I'd been using a small family-owned millwork shop in Wichita for bigger runs than I can do and been real pleased but they simply buy material on a per job basis for specialty items like I've been having done for the barn restoration which has been the main project for the last two years...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Would it be Allen's Millwork?

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Oh, dear, a foe paw on my very first 'you suck.' Abject apologies and much grovelling. Really.

Hey Dave, how much you want for some? I'll drive over.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I know that there is a mill in Grass valley that carries a lot of local hardwoods, but can't remember the name. There was an article on them in Woodshop news a couple of years back. I think that there is a place in Chico also. I would expect the valley to have more sources.There is a Wood Finder web site that I used once to help me find some hickory. If you want to spend some money, try Goby Walnut in Albany OR. He has

100,000 plus bf from about $5 to 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it anyway'. I got some bookmatched 6/4 tight ripple 9 ft. long, all heart for about $30 bf. I don't know what I am going to do with it, but it will be expensive. robo hippy
Reply to
robo hippy

No, I have been using Holtzen's--they're downtown.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Ah. Of course.

This is very confusing.

So mentioning that it's on top of a similar stack of cherry would be another example of "you suck"-able posts then? I ask, er, merely out of curiousity.

That said, what's a fair price for nice walnut, in the Midwest? Old growth, no sapwood, no knots, rough sawn 45+ years ago 4/4 strong? They're 10-12 foot lengths, random width. A local-ish woodworker is interested in 40 or so bf, and we want to come up with a fair number.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Couple more months it would have been 7 years, and the statute of limitations would have been up. But, I think it can be forgiven to not have memorized every post on the group for 6+ years.

Drop me an email...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

We haven't dealt with Holtzen's for some time. Years ago we had a builder that used them quite a bit. Their millwork was always very good.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Yes, I have been pleased w/ everything they've done...and wunnerful to deal w/ as well.

They just got a new 4-head moulder in last winter--my run of siding about 4000 ft of Doug fir 3-1/4" T&G siding matching the old barn siding was its initiation--we all stood around and watched and went "ooh...!"... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Most certainly. Best not mention it.

I bought some just recently and came to a price of $2.50 / bf. It was nice walnut but not 45+ years old and the widest board was maybe 7". No sap wood but had more knots than I would like. For what you've got (if it's pretty straight), I'd ask the same if not a little more than S2S lumber. One local yard in St. Louis adds 10% to the price for boards over 9" wide.

Reply to
D Steck

Did they have to grind knives for it or did they have a match?

BTW, I'm trying a new version of my mail reader in the groups. If you see this, I guess it's working. My address is suppose to show up as snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.net

Mike O.

Reply to
<Mike

The cove was a standard profile (and I should recall the profile number but can't offhand) so the existing knives were right. It was just that we were unable to find anything other than the 5-1/4 width anywhere already available and the barn was 3-1/4. I went the Doug fir to match the original as well. We had to cheat just a little on the bottom edge groove depth and some was hard to finish the full 3-1/4 out of the 1x4 stock, but I decided I didn't want to eat the cost of the 1x6 stock to get the full dimension. That's what the reduction in size since the '20s does to you on repro or restoration work. :(

I had some old salvaged 5-1/4 material from an old chicken coop we tore down (something like 40 years ago now) still in the mow so in a couple of places where I had a fairly large place to replace old siding on I ripped it down to about 3-3/8 and used a couple of rows of it mixed in w/ the other to gain back the lost height when I had more opening to cover than I could "stretch" the new to fill in. When done and painted, I can only pick out one place where I did that by inspection (although I know where the others are, of course).

Just out of curiousity, which are you using? I've been using an NS version on a really old W95 box for 'net access, but it's about to die dead so I'm going to have to move to something newer...I just don't know what that's going to be, but it ain't gonna' be Outlook altho I'll probably end up going w/ a MS OS owing to the compatibility issue w/ what few clients I'm still consulting for...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I'm using Agent 3.1. They have a 30 day trial period for the full version and after 30 days it reverts to a version called Free Agent that has some limitations but doesn't expire. You can experiment with it and it will import messages from other readers if they will export in the standard UNIX email message format.

The web site is

I honestly don't know how it compares to some other (non MS) readers since I've been using some version of Agent since back in the days when Internet service first became available here.

This version will allow you to use more than one server for mail and or news and allows for different users or names for individual news groups or email accounts. I was running two separate copies of the earlier version to accomplish the same thing. The new version does quite a bit more than I need for it to do but I'm starting to get the hang of it.....I think. Just in case, I haven't removed one of the old copies yet.

Mike O.

Reply to
<Mike

Right now I have a bunch of walnut (see attached pic) that I could sell for $4.00/bft with a minimum of 25 ft purchase. I am located in central virginia. Contact me if interested witha valid return email address.

Reply to
myxpykalix