What is it? Set 506

At least with the posting to Rec.crafts.metalworking. Most people here will have a pretty good eye for handedness on threads. :-) Probably the woodworkers, too, though I think that left-handed wood screws are pretty uncommon. :-)

[ ... ]

And they probably used a desk ruler or a tape measure, so getting a reading that accurate would be pretty unlikely. :-)

Well ... brass and bronze look very much alike, especially when clean. They develop somewhat different patinas, but the real thing is strength. A tool should be bronze, not brass, and I would be willing to bet that this one is bronze. If anyone could track down the logo on the handle it would probably show up listed as bronze -- maybe phosphor bronze, or maybe even Berylium Copper.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'll second this - electrical line clamp / grounding clamp. A live-line switch-stick tool connects to the loop -

- to tighten / loosen the jaws over the line conductor or stirrup -

- the grounding / connecting lead wire is attached via the hex nut. John T.

hubops

2947 - Wine tap?

2948 - Valve lapping/grinding tool

2949 -

2950 - 4.5" shell for large gun.

2951 - Tubing bender.
Reply to
Steve W.

2947 - Wine tap?

2948 - Valve lapping/grinding tool

2949 -

2950 - 4.5" shell for large gun.

2951 - Tubing bender.

2952 - C6 multi sledge, another of a long line of "improved entry tools" made for police/fire use.

Reply to
Steve W.

I need some help with the fifth one this week:

Rob

2948 Tool for grinding and finish of motor valves. WW
Reply to
WW

"Mike Marlow" <

That's ok, Mike, you're off the hook. Carry on man! ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Just a wild guess:

2950 I think this could be a foundryman's crucible for metal. The marks around the periphery tally with the use of tongs in handling. I don't think it's ordnance. It appears to be cast. Cast is relatively brittle. If it were a shell head, why would there be casting marks on the base? What would prevent it shattering in the barrel of a gun, especially if it were packed with explosive material? Could be a mould for something such as 44mm shell heads, if such a thing exists. I'm not much into ordnance. Nick.
Reply to
Nick

I don't know enough to refute you, but the crucibles I saw when I googled, have thinner walls. The diameter of the hole appears to be about 60mm.

Reply to
The Other J Burns

The Other J Burns fired this volley in news:kuldvg$4vc $ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

'Makes no sense to spend all your fuel heating the crucible, and hardly any heating the contents!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

beer through? I would have expected a series of small ports between the threads.

I think there is a hole on the other side near the tip of the screw, I should have taken some more photos but was in a hurry at the time and just took a couple of shots.

The person at the military blog agreed that 2950 was a projectile but hasn't yet given more information about it.

My answers for this week have been posted here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2962 - I recognized that pry bar end, but the other end was different. We called it a Halligan tool and it was carried in the trunk of a police car. The other end had a 90 degree spike for cutting holes in things.
Reply to
willshak

I shoulda said 'punching' holes in things. Mostly used to getting into locked car doors to rescue people. This was before the Jaws-of-life tool was invented.

Reply to
willshak

BTW When you need help with answers to some, could you please include the number(s) (e.g. 2433) instead of saying "the fifth from the top" or "the second and fifth"? Given how far apart you space them (at least as seen on my browser), it is easy to lose count when scrolling down from the top -- especially if the scrolling is somewhat jerky, which can cause me to skip over one or two..

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes I can do that, no problem.