What is it? Set 448

shows a 60-gallon Columbus kettle used to scald hogs. It looks like a match.

#11 shows a 120-gallon used to boil cane juice. Kettles for this purpose appear thicker than the mystery item, probably to prevent hot spots.

Reply to
J Burns

I cheated and found the answer to #2599, the grinding stones. Here is someone's MySpace site with 90 pictures taken at the Museum of Appalachia, in Norris, Tn.

for as that large kettle, I still believe its original purpose was for making syrup. It may have had a secondary use for scalding hogs, just as today the kettles, in my area, have a secondary use as lawn decor. You don't need 60 or 120 gallons of hot water to scald a hog, unless it was used at a slaughter house for scalding lots of hogs, hence the quantity of water needed was great, for the many hogs. Additionally, read the sign here:

Sonny

> You might be right, and I do not have a lot of experience with making syrup,

From that area, the most likely was for a molasses kettle...

I wasn't back for a while; I see the posting from the shots from somebody else from the Applachian Museum identified the crusher.

I wasn't absolutely positive it was the same one--when I was last there it hadn't gotten in such bad shape yet as indicated by the picture on the other link when it was still intact...the current state is sad to see... :(

It's been 15 yr now since we moved back to the farm from the time spent in TN and I suppose probably had been 10 since had done anything except go to the festival weekends and not wandered the grounds much while still there. We were located about 15 mi southwest...

Reply to
dpb

Interesting comment Michael, that was my tool of choice for them too. And I fiddled with them pretty regular. Motorola used them to secure the microphone cords on their Maxar/Moxy model line and I replaced a lot of them... Used to be the smallest version (don't know if that is still true) made by Channel Lock. Worked quite well too :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

These were about 8" long, and I would set them to one groove longer than parallel so that the Heyco would compress with little or no damage. I've done that on ones that ranged from 1/4" mounting hole, to ones that were over an inch in diameter.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

> As for as that large kettle, I still believe its original purpose was

museum had a couple of smaller kettles that were marked as being for scalding hogs, but this larger one was not for making syrup. Still no luck on the clamp but the rest of the answers have been posted:

Rob H.

Yup, that is exactly how I used to do it and why the "groove" style plier worked so well. Now I don't feel quite so clever anymore, must have been an obvious solution ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Not to my former co-workers. They told me that it was impossible to remove a Heyco, and reuse it without a lot of damage. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As I mentioned, the owner of these items had told me they were targets, they didn't have any noticeable dents in them so I was skeptical but went with that answer for lack of a better one. Someone just sent me an email stating:

"They are actually "frying pan" or "pancake" pipe line blanks, for blanking off product lines in manufacturing processes. I worked with them for 40 odd years. They are installed in the lines between flange fittings to prevent product flow in the lines while doing maintenance or repair."

Sounds reasonable so I went ahead and added this to my answer.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, I recall, when working at Placid Refinery, Port Allen, La., those were used as blocks at flange fittings during maintenance operations. I initially thought they looked familiar.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Think I got lucky ;-) Item #2602 seems to be a "Device for filling Pipe Joints".

Patent number: 948686 Date: Feb 8, 1910

Leon Fisk

Great job on finding the patent! I'll send this to the owner, I was guessing it was from the 1920s.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Enjoy, Don.