What duct work do I buy for dust collection

I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Most home shop folks just use plastic any more.

26 ga snap-lock duct is the only (semi-)economical metal choice...

for example. May have better luck at the HVAC supply places than box stores locally.

--

Reply to
dpb

Here is a great source for everything dust collection.

his discussion in "PVC Confusion" and several other areas. He considers PVC a good option if you ground

Reply to
RonB

Woodcrafters has duct work and some fittings, but if you are close to a Woodcrafters store, look up a site The Wood & Shop, Inc. its got 3" and

4" stuff look under dust collection, they are in Maryland Height, Mo just outside of St Louis...I have been putting a dust collecter on my radial arm saw, and got a hood and reducter from Woodcrafts and using some pvc pipe from Lowes to get it hooked up like I want it
Reply to
racing John

Rockler sells an adapter to change from 4" fitting to PVC Sewer Pipe. See:

Nova

Snap-lock is available at most home centers (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) but most of it's paper-thin 30-gauge (or ever thinner) junk. You *can* find 26 gauge (28 gauge is probably ok for smaller diameters or short sections) at Lowe's-Depot, but many times the stuff is mislabeled; bring your micrometer. I have a half-dozen or more Lowe's and Home Depot stores within driving distance, and they ALL carried a different variety of brands and gauges, sometimes within the same store. Incidentally, I *tried* to shop every HVAC place in my area (and I live in Austin, so there are a lot of them), but I didn't buy anything from

*any* of them; most of them weren't any better than Lowe's or Home Depot in terms of selection (and price!), and many of them deal with contractors only and don't want to talk to the man on the street.

I would recommend going first to Kencraft

and try to get as much as you can from them, then falling back on Penn State for the remainder of your needs. Every single thing I ordered from Kencraft was of superior quality, and they ship fast. Penn State has more stuff, but some of it ain't as good, and it took them *much* longer to ship it than Kencraft.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Steve Turner wrote: ...

Hadn't ever heard of 'em; looks worthwhile link, thanks...

Note their only 4"x60" snap-lock is 30ga whereas Penn State has 26ga, though. As I read it, their 24" is 26ga and is less expensive depending on relative shipping.

One of those things owing to that that if can find locally is usually better deal as the shipping gets amortized over much larger quantities than individual orders.

There's always Oneida for the "high-priced spread", of course... :)

I've not checked at Woodworkers' Supply recently...well, that said--whoah, Nelly!!! They're about double... :( Generally, their pricing is pretty good, but not on this.

Reply to
dpb

Yes, I was disappointed when I investigated Wooodworker's Supply. And there was a time when I too thought that their pricing was "pretty good" in general, but most of my recent perusals through their catalogs have led me to conclude otherwise. In general. :-(

Reply to
Steve Turner

Why would you go to home depot for this? try a woodworker supply store, one that caters to the pros. there is one in your area You just have to search for it. here in Baltimore there's scarrie of Howard street. I did my shop for under a 100 with metal pike and fixtures.

Len

Reply to
Len

Because a lot of the time, woodworking stores sell the same thing for more.

Reply to
-MIKE-

And another lot of the time, there isn't a woodworking store (or, of course, here there isn't a HD/box store, either)... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I have never seen Home depot (or lowes for that matter)sell anything for less than scarrie.the name brands have two types of products one for home and the other for the pro,both are the same on the outside but very different on the inside.

Len

Reply to
Len

I finally bit the bullet about 3-4 years ago and bought a canister 1100 CFM Jet DC. All of my equipment is mobile so I simply use 2, 10' clear flexable hoses to make a single 20' hose that reaches most any where in the shop. I have no plans to upgrade. For closer equipment the hose hangs from a hook at the ceiling near the DC. I take it down if I need to go farther with it. I added a quick taper connect to the end for fast connection and disconnect. Totally dependable and trouble free. Cost, about $50.

Reply to
Leon

That's nice but Baltimore is a bit of a drive for most of us.

I am curious--what is "very different on the inside" of a piece of bent up sheet metal?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I just bought a DC and this is basically what I'm doing now. The problem is that the saw and planer tend to be in the middle of the shop (read: garage) floor so the hose is always in the way. I have the planer on a cart so it gets put away when not in use but the saw more or less sits. I plan on converting the area that is normally the "bonus room" above the garage into a shop. I have to raise the floor another ~8" so I thought I'd run the DC pipes under the floor to the saw. I'll likely still leave the planer on the cart.

Other tools tend to stand against the walls so quick disconnects (behind them) would seem to be a problem there, too. I'm just in the planning stage so I'd appreciate hearing from others.

Reply to
keithw86

The much larger hole inside the 30-ga vis a vis 26, maybe??? :J)

--

Reply to
dpb

I see..... I don't think it would actually suck the bit out of the router UNLESS you have a Craftsman router in there. ;~)

I am just waithing for the day I suck up my remote with the end of my hose when cleaning up.

Reply to
Leon

Nah, Crapsman routers suck more than that.

I've been wondering the same thing. I tied one to the end of the fence rail and put the other away in the closet. ;-)

Reply to
krw

If your vacuum allows, hook up the hose to blow instead of suck.

No inuendo intended. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I'm amazed that it still worked. Thought sure static would have killed it.

Reply to
CW