Weekend Project - Keeping SWMBO Happy

SWMBO wanted some planters for one of her flower gardens so she could dedicate some space for herbs. Right now she has herbs here, there, wherever she finds a spot.

So, I made these this weekend. I went with simple "corner block" construction, glued and screwed since they are going to be filled with dirt. The blocks will disappear once they are filled.

I thought I had a bit to rout the grooves, but it turned out I didn't. Instead of running back out to buy one, I ripped the boards, chamfered the edges and glued them back together.

I'd be interested to hear about *easy* options for finishing to keep the cedar looking new for as long as possible. I don't plan to do maintenance every year, but if I can keep them looking fresh for a while, I'd give it a shot.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just a guess, but what about the clear, penetrating, epoxy fillers?

Reply to
krw

They look too nice to fill with dirt ! Where are they to be placed ? < on the ground = a lot of bending & squatting ? > Any thought to putting various plant containers in them ? .. rather than filling with soil ? .. different herbs might want different garden conditions and to keep them under control. I'm not much of a woodworker - less a gardener .. My experience with cedar composters is that : : the parts touching/close to the ground would rot away much faster than I thought - ~ 5 years. : the parts above ~ 1 foot seemed like they would last much longer than I thought - still very solid after 7 years. .. I switched to plastic composters. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Mine is a lot easier than that. She's happy every day when I go to work. ;-)

I was recently furloughed for six weeks. I loved it. For me it was a practice retirement (soon). For her, not so much. She looked at it as a practice retirement too. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I think that would be a good Idea. I made a work bench, out of 2X4 with Plywood inserts.

When it was finished I varnished it with a good out door varnish. My brother in laws laughed as they thought it should be painted. I put two coats on the lower parts, and three on the top.

25 years later, it still looks good. Maybe not as good as it did the day I finished it, but good. When I do a glue up, and get drops of glue on it careful use of a putty knife removes. it It does not stain when I do something greasy on it. If I were to do it over again and I seeing how it has held up, I would do it again.
Reply to
knuttle

I'll look into it, but I guess I should have mentioned SWMBO's penchant for non-toxic materials near her food.

Thus the use of cedar and not pressure treated wood.

I was thinking Tung Oil, just hate the thought of putting 5-6 coats of finish on something that's going to get filled with dirt. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep, on the ground from a bending and squatting perspective. Actually sitting on some paver blocks, so not sitting directly in the dirt. I'll ask her about separate containers, but she be the gardener (and cook) so whatever she wants is fine with me. Remember the subject line.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some ideas:

Whatever you use to finish the wood, line it with a thick plastic liner to keep the potting soil from even touching the inside.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I vote a heavy dose of tung oil.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yeah, that's where I'm leaning.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Anything in the sunlight will fade. Best bet outdoor paint.

Reply to
Leon

Or natural weathering.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That too! But the sunlight, in SE TEXAS trumps weathering. Cedar fence pickets facing south and north hold their natural fresh cut color longer than those facing east and west.

Reply to
Leon

I wasn't concerned with pretty as much as keeping it there.

Reply to
krw

Like a piece of an old pool liner. Perhaps a pool store would have some laying around.

Reply to
krw

Wouldn't anything lying around pool store be new?

I ain't dumpster diving just to line a planter. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

THey may keep some old material around. Or you could go at night. ;-)

Reply to
krw

My days of dark-time activities of that sort, like dropping off old tires after hours to save the so-called "recycling fee", are over. Too many high resolution, motion activated cameras these days.

Reply to
DerbyDad03