weathered wood, thanksgiving and Bill's unisaw

Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.

I skipped out to Florida for Thanksgiving and all the associated festivities that go with it.

In my traveling around I came upon this is Carrabelle, FL, no chainsaw, no pickum up truck and no backhoe, all I left with was pictures.

I like this sort of stuff and the pictures don't do this field of gold justice.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

As someone who was raised with cypress knee lamps everywhere you looked in S Louisiana, this makes me feel right at home. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks Basilisk. Your pictures are very interesting! Evidently someone is "protecting" the area.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No doubt, even in AL the cypress thing was over done, tables with knees for legs, lamps, and clocks from slabs complete with bondo'ed up cracks. Invariably covered with epoxy pour on finish a half inch thick. I even worked for a place that produced this crap, the first piece I saw, I liked, it wore off rapidly after that.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I refer to it as part of nature's art and prefer the works as is, no or little "enhancements". I may collect some pieces, these days, but usually just the small stuff, not the truck loads or large pieces I collected long ago.

Walking along that beach would be nice.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

There is a beautiful botanical garden, Garvan Woodland Gardens on Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs.

Last I visited, this past summer, the misguided folks in charge had commissioned an exhibit of gaudy, glass baubles by some pseudo "artiste" glass blower, with more hot wind than artistic sensibilities, and populated the entire naturally beautiful surroundings to the point that you could not take a photo without some garishly colored colored piece of glass being in the frame.

It was so disturbing to the usual, and natural, beauty/peace of the place that I jokingly asked for my entry fee back, and apparently was not the first.

I did write in their guest/comment book that was on exhibit was not "art", but "arrogance".

Reply to
Swingman

Bill, seems I recall you speaking of replacing your older tablesaw. Did you ever find one? If not, there may be one to your liking in Tuscaloosa:

Or in Eupora, MS. There's a $100 loading fee for some tools.

BTW, are you a War Eagle or Bama fan? I don't recall your mentioning either.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

In the game yesterday, I saw "The best second in football, that almost wasn't!" - It was amazing!!! You must have watched it as well!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

We lived in Auburn from '08-'12, so my wife was going nuts at the end. ;-) I only watched the final quarter or so. My alma mater got beat by Northwestern. Oh the embarrassment!

Reply to
krw

I haven't replaced the old delta yet, I kinda got sidetracked on a machine tool binge, lathe (17"X84" leblond), milling machine (bridgeport knee mill) and a 16" G&E shaper. So much big iron, so little time and money. I am trying desperately to control myself long enough to finish wiring my shop.

Neither really, I'm proud for either one doing well, but don't really keep up. I did listen to AU,UA game saturday on the radio. I do hope that since Auburn has put Alabama out of the running they can take the championship.

I live on US 82 about 24 miles from University of Alabama, when you consider the population of Tuscaloosa doubles during a home game it is a major annoyance for those of us that aren't that interested. You kids get the hell off my grass syndrome:)

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

------------------------------------------------------ There is only ONE college football game played on the Saturday after Thanksgiving that counts IMHO.

It's the University of Michigan vs: The Ohio State University.

Yesterday the Buckeyes hung on for a 42-41 win.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't see a lot of hope for them getting into the championship. Both OSU and Fla St are undefeated. OSU is done for the year, IIRC. I guess Fla St could lose in the ACC championship but AU has to win theirs, too (AU has one loss).

The population of Auburn increases almost three-fold (87K stadium vs.

57K population). Each university has 25K students, IIRC.
Reply to
krw

It's a biggie, to be sure, but you haven't seen anything like the Alabama football fans. It's truly an amazing thing to behold.

Reply to
krw

I was in a waffle house in Dothan about daylight this morning, sitting at a nearby table were three old gentlemen dressed in their Alabama gear and talking about the game, in comes an old guy in Auburn regalia, they call out for him to sit with them, he replies,"gimma a second"...

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Uk Oh, all that's over my head, I told you I didn't keep up.

Yep, Tuscaloosa has about the same population as their stadium, but another 40k watches on TV in the parking lot, WTH.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

It's the same at Auburn. The tailgate RV park opens the Thursday before the game and it's full of $500K RVs by nightfall. The AU airport fills up with corporate jets the day of the game (no scheduled airline service since it's only 70miles down I85 from the Atlanta airport). The Alabama fans (both stripes) are simply amazing. ...and that's in a losing year!

Reply to
krw

Yep. The Iron Bowl is always a good game to watch. I was pulling for Auburn, on behalf of a good friend in Mobile. He's a Tx Aggie grad/fan, first, and was once a Bama fan, but switched allegiance after the Toomer's Corner historical trees incident.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Ironically, that was done by someone living close to Auburn (though a 'Bama fan). The idiot bragged about it on a Tuscaloosa call-in sports show. They turned him in. To the credit of the 'Bama students, they sent a pile of $$ to try to save the trees. It didn't work and AIUI, the trees came down this fall.

Reply to
krw