Wax Finish Help?

Hello,

I need help with my dining table project. I've gotten to the final finishing stage, and the carnuba wax finish, which I've applied, looks streaky. My finish is as follows:

Wood: Cherry

Sealer coat: gel varnish mahogany gel stain x 1 coat gel varnish x 1 coat cherry gel stain x 1 coat gel varnish x 4 coats

After two weeks of curing, I flattened the surface with 600 sandpaper, and 0000 synthetic steel wool. Then I applied the wax, wrapped in a ball of cheesecloth. I buffed the wax with a buffing pad on a hand drill, the pad used manually, and cheesecloth, but I can't get rid of the streaks (with the grain, FWIW). It appears that the wax has adhered to most areas of the surface, but one can see uneven patches in angled light.

Possible causes:

I may not have waited long enough for the finish to cure. I waited two weeks. Most books recommend waiting a month, but they also say that the thumbnail test can also be used. The finish seemed hard enough, using this test.

Perhaps I'm waiting too long or not long enough when buffing the wax. The instructions on the can say to wait until it's completely dry. How long is that in minutes/hours?

My buffing tools may not be right for the job.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to proceed? I'm inclined to strip the wax off (I've only applied it to one half of the table), and reapply a coat or two of varnish and wait a good while before finishing the finish. Has anyone used pumice and rottenstone? I understand these will bring the finish to a nice satin lustre.

Thank you.

Curt Blood

Reply to
CBlood59

At a guess, too thick a coat of wax. Better three or four THIN coats. It'll buff out much easier.

Reply to
MikeG

Hello,

At a guess, too thick a coat of wax. Better three or four THIN coats. It'll buff out much easier.

Reply to
CBlood59

Based on the minimum amount of wax you stated (2" ball) and the area you covered, that would be a wax coating almost .003 thick. About thirty times thicker than it should be. Yes, it is gobs of wax you are seeing.

Reply to
CW

It seems excessive to me, by a lot. With carnauba, a little goes a long way, and it dries really hard. You may need to soften it by applying a (very) little more fresh wax to melt the dried, and buff immediately.

Reply to
Bob N

Another tip, I picked up one of those cheap car buffers from Walmart for about 20 bucks and it does a great job.

Reply to
Mike S.

Well, the surface is improving, after each buffing session. It's still not perfect, though. Thanks for the input.

CB

Reply to
CBlood59

Of course I can't, since I can't see the item or watch you put the wax on, say for sure. However if you have a good surface to start with and streaks after you apply the wax ................. Well......

I used too be be overly enthusiastic in applying wax myself. The results were pretty much what you describe and yes, it is a bitch buffing all that wax our.

Wrap the wax as you did but that doesn't mean you have to apply it all. A light touch, don't push it in and just a skim coat. Let dry, buff, repeat two or three times. Buff each coat until running your finger over the wax coat doesn't leave any streaks.

Good luck

Reply to
MikeG

On 18 Aug 2004 11:40:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CBlood59) calmly ranted:

Paint thinner, Xylene, denatured alcohol, and ammonia are wax removers/melters, CB. Why not start over?

--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques