Waterlox

Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based analine dye. I have a curly maple table top that I am getting ready to finish and was considering trying this.

Thanks,

Frank (Novice Woodworker)

Reply to
Frank & Renee

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:22:58 GMT, the inscrutable "Frank & Renee" spake:

No, but it should work fine. Try it on a sample of scrap from the same project.

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Seems to me that applying a hydrophobic material onto a hydrophilic material would cause problems.

Reply to
stoutman

Nope. Works fine. A little bit of transfer is all I've ever experienced.

Reply to
George

It works fine. Make sure the dye stain is completely dry though because I have had instances where the dye stain mixes with the waterlox and causes blotches. I have also had the same problem using polyurethane (both oil based and water based) so I think the key word here is dry. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Maybe a shellac barrier coat would be in order?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I have used it over black, water based analine dye. Works fine. I mix

1/3rd Waterlox, 1/3 pure Ch> Has anyone used Waterlox tung oil finish (high gloss) over a water based
Reply to
Rick Stein

I've done General Finishes Arm-R-Seal over water-based analine dyes lotsa times.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Isn't Waterlox already a mixture of varnish and tung oil?

Reply to
mp

Not if the dye solvent is alcohol or water.

Reply to
George

Dewaxed shellac over water based stain seems to be the way to go. I have never tried it but in the latest issue of FWW pg 36, the author seals water based dye stain with dewaxed shellac before applying a glaze coat consisting of oil based varnish.

Reply to
stoutman

"Frank & Renee" wrote in news:CvtUd.51016 $sR5.5822@trndny05:

Hi Frank,

I've done it. No problems. Here are a couple of boxes I did with aniline dye on the curly portions, with Waterlox original over all:

Nate Perkins

I hate it when this happens. I started using Waterlox because I got tired of making my own blend. You mean I'm still missing out? Dang. I will admit to thinning waterlox on occasion though ;-) SH

Reply to
Slowhand