Walnut Rifle Stock Finishing........

Swingman responds:

Yeah, pretty much the same for anything in the Crotch, but during training, and on base stateside, it's essential to keep up appearances. Or so we were told. Sort of like the British in the desert when there was no water...but they stilled shaved, long, long before battery razors.

I always got a kick out of the deadly flat blue-black of the metal assemblies and the glossy walnut stocks. With our Drill Instructors, there were also the glossy leather slings, with brass--highly polished--buckles and clips. I lusted after one of those until I got to ITR and made a real April in NC discovery of mud, sand, rain, more mud, a lot more sand and various insects waking from a winter's nap to gnaw on any exposed bits of our skin.

Charlie Self

Probably polish the recoil buffer to try to get rid of the "Squeeky-squeeky" when you shoot.

You know, a nice set of wood stocks for an AR-15 would bring the looks of that gun up to "tolerable". Wonder if there's a market...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Mid 1950s.

Reply to
RB

My question was largely rhetorical. I don't feel that the world hasn't changed. What has changed is peoples' values and our tolerance of those mostly negative changes.

RB

Reply to
RB

JP Rifles sells them. Handguards would be a bit of a problem though with the heat and gas tube. Nice thing about plastic however is that you can just spritz on some armor-all and be done with it 8^)

Does anyone here know if it would be prudent to belt sand my '96 Krag carbine stock into somthing more sporty??? 8^)

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

But it still looks like, well, Bondo.

You're trying to raise my blood pressure, aren't you.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ah, then your overlap is with my dad then. Ever run into a somewhat unruly bunch from Winnequah Gun Club from Wisconsin?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Can't disagree. Not sure when it happened, but remember Kennedy, a certified card carrying liberal, saying "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"? And now even the hard-core Republicans expect all to sit around with our fingers up our butts and let the government take care of us and all of our problems. And so several airliners full of people dutifully let the hijackers do their thing instead of pulling them down and tossing them out, because that's what you're supposed to do in an emergency, be a good little do-bee and let the government handle it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Dave,

Thank you for posting that link. I've been wanting to get my hands on an '03 to replace one that I foolishly allowed to get away from me when I was home on boot leave and needed a few dollars. Think I'll pick up a service grade M1 while I'm at it as a reminder of my ill-spent youth.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Check out the spare parts and accessories while you're there. You might even be able to get some spare walnut stocks (there, back on topic if even gratuitously so) if you want.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Always a good idea! I bought several spare "C" stocks for my '03 so I could bed one to zero in the accuracy for cast bullets. The originals are stored away.

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR