Wagner paint gun for Minwax polyshade

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible to use a wagner paint gun to spray Minwax's polyshade product so that you'd get an even dispersement of it on furniture.

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

Nevermind. I just read reviews on epinions.com and the wagners rank HORRIBLE.

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

The Wagner spray gun is the worst scam ever foisted on the public. Stay far away from them. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was wondering if it was possible to use a wagner paint gun to spray ANYTHING?

Reply to
Stephanie and Tim

Umm that is combining two bad products IMHO..

You don't need a sprayer if you use a decent stain product.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed - and I do not use Polyshades - tried it once . . ..

just once.

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in news:TbJ2b.148$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

I tried Polyshades on several projects, a few turned out good, others bad. It is a pretty useless finish really, it is hard to get good consistant results with it. The best looking results I achieved were done by spraying it. The crap takes way to long to dry in my location, so if you do not have a "clean room", it will collect all sorts of dust before it ever hardens. There are just too many better ways to finish, than using this stuff in my case. If a person lived in a dry arid environment, I could see the polyshades being good for spraying some pine projects with, like childrens toys and the like, but for fine furniture, forget it.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

Yeah I went back and looked at my test results in the sun and they weren't the best finish.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in news:big1ok$fne$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.pit.comms.marconi.com:

I was using a conventional sprayer when I DID get good results. I did not read further up the thread to see you are using an airless.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in news:SXG2b.729$ snipped-for-privacy@fe01.atl.webusenet.com:

Sure, your wheel barrow, kids wagon, swing set, etc. LOL!

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

I also have a Wagner Power Sprayer Pro.

Used it to paint my grandparents garage. Had to thin the paint (thick latex). The first side of the garage needed a second coat...first time I used the gun so I went light. On the other three sides - day 2 of the project - I thinned the paint a little more (less dripping from the gun) and then went a little slower movement and got the feel for how to use the gun...these three sides only needed one coat.

All the sides look fabulous. The only place you see brush strokes is on the trim that was painted with a brush.

I did come out with speckled clothes, goggle and respirator but I think that may be normal for someone who's never used a paint sprayer before.

Instead of taking 2 days by hand, it only took about 4 hours using the spray gun.

It's not perfect but it does the job.

BRuce wrote:

Reply to
Dave - Freedonia

Give me a good case of diarrhea and I'll out finish a wagner on any piece of wood you got.

-- JC from Gnat Flats, Texas Home of the Notso OK Corral

dispersement of

Reply to
JC from Gnat Flats

Sure, if you don't mind spits and drips. :-) I tried one several years ago, the only way I found to make it work was to thin the paint to almost the consistency of water -- made me wonder just how long my 15 year paint was going to last going on that thin. I finally gave up and got an air gun for my compressor and finished the job without having to thin the paint. When I built my first shop, I rented an airless sprayer

-- those are the real deal and do the job as it is meant to be done. When I moved, I got a good deal on a real airless sprayer of my own. Even if I didn't own one, I would rent an airless sprayer before ever resorting to that 90dB+ humming, spitting Wagner monster.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yes. You have to have patience. Five minutes spraying, two hours dicking around with the stupid piece of crap machine, five minutes of spraying...

They do absolutely, utterly SUCK!!!!

Reply to
Silvan

Exactly. Good paint crews will actually paint a house 2 times on seperate days if they are going airless.

Reply to
Leon