Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
privateeight

The pine is more likely to get dinged and dented.

Reply to
Leon

In a cabin, shop or in your main residence?

Dave

Teamcasa

Soft pine moves around a lot with humidity changes and marks easily; maybe OK in a low traffic airconditioned domestic environment and no worse than particle board for wear. Some of the pines are harder than some of the soft hardwoods. I have seen macrocarpa pine used as flooring and it seems to work OK. Hardness is largely a function of the closeness of the grain and the age of the tree.

Reply to
Roger_Nickel

Southern Yellow Pine is the only pine commonly available that is hard enough for flooring.

'Kiln dried' just menas the wood was dried in a kiln without regard to HOW dry. If you are talking about the wood sold for ordinary construction it is usually not dry enough for flooring. Anything that is, will probably cost almost as much as tongue and groove flooring.

Reply to
fredfighter

Fredfighter Wrote: >Southern Yellow Pine is the only pine commonly available that >is hard enough for flooring. >

My sister has wide-board pine flooring which she had installed all over the first floor of her house more than 30 years ago, and which has held up beautifully under her kids. Reasonable care is the key to keeping it durable - like any wood floor. BTW, I saw T&G pine flooring (3 widths) for sale at a local flooring company last week. Didn't ask what kind of pine though.

Reply to
Sailaway

one of the most beautiful floors i have ever seen was a red pine floor, out of tongue and groove 4 to 6" wide planks. definitely a "shoes off" floor, and you still will have tolerate dings and dents. but do dings and dents ruin a floor? kind of depends on the style of your house.

Reply to
marson

My residence.

Reply to
privateeight

Considering the fact that T&G SYP can be bought for very little money, why would you attempt to "make" flooring ???

The last time I looked at syp flooring, it was under $2.00 a square foot.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

If you mean the kiln dried boards in the Big Box stores, I would not recommend it for your home. Its simply not hard enough for a decent floor.

Dave

Teamcasa

thanks for your feed back.

Reply to