Uneven surface after edge glueing

An Ulmia finishing plane with a lignum vitae sole is a beautiful tool to use. Really really sharp, really really fine setting, I usually flatten my panels first with a homebrew jack plane and then with the Ulmia with cuts angled at around 30-45 degree to the joins, in a diamond pattern; mostly because I seem to work with stubborn timbers that are prone to tear-out, even with this tool. The more stubborn the timber, the more I go cross-grain. Once the plane finds nothing more to flatten I switch to the cabinet scraper.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

SonomaProducts.com

I'd be really interested to hear how those classes work out for you. If you get a half-decent instructor, I think you'll find that it's not only time nicely invested in skill acquiring, but it's a really enjoyable gabfest on top of it.

Let us know how it goes.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Yes, I was wondering how good the instructor will be. I'll let ya know.

Hav> S> > Yes, I am really looking forward to learning how to sharpen, setup and

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I've used a biscuit jointer for edging several times, and I find that the slightest slip or shake of the hand translates into the workpiece. As a result, I would say I get a perfectly aligned edge only about 60% of the time, and the other times I have to compensate somehow (either by sanding the edge flat, or removing an offending buscuit and using clamps to align).

I have never once had a problem with splining though. From my very first attempt, I have gotten perfect results every time. I use an interchangable arbor with a 1/4" cutter, so my piece slides flat on the router table (or I slide my router on the surface for really big pieces). The router always slides on the 'good' surface, which means the grove is the exact same distance from the good surface on both pieces, and as long as you use tight splines, the two pieces will allign perfectly with 0 error. The only way you would get missaligned pieces using this method is if the router leaves the surface of your piece, your piece leaves the surface of the router table, or the depth of the bit changes -- none of which are likely to happen.

Reply to
julvr