Tung oil stone

I was applying tung oil on a wooden chair outdoors and got some tiny drops of tung oil on our flagstone. I would like to know if 1) I can remove the oil through some manageable method (ie, power washing, degreaser, but not sanding or sand blasting) or 2) I can use tung oil to seal the stone or apply some other sealing product which will be compatible with tung oil. Stone sealers seem to be oil repellant/ resistant when cured but I don't know if the application has to be oil free. Thanks to any help.

Reply to
cl999

While woodworkers do use tung oil on wood, we probably never use it on flagstone. I suggest you contact your local rock yard and inquire with them. Tiny drops should dissipate after a few weeks.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, I've read that tung oil was used to seal the Great Wall of China, and is still often used to seal stone.

Fred the Red Shirt

Reply to
cl999

If it'll dissipate in a few weeks I won't worry about it. Or I'll just flip the stones over. My concern is that it'll dry and polymerize as it would in wood and become semi-permanent. But If I can find a recipe for stone sealer using tung oil and make the whole thing look even, I just might try it. That wiki link seems to suggest 1:5 Tung:Naptha.

You don't state where you are, but "weathering" will probably take care of it within a year, especially if a freeze-thaw cycle is involved.

If you are in ths sun belt, let the UV rays solve the problem.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
cl999

Swarfega might just remove the oil? Apply it in dry conditions though.

Reply to
johngood_____