Tung Oil for Cutting Board

Gee, thanks, pal. Here I am in Wisconsin with winter coming on, and you have to go and remind me of home. ;)

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:00:36 -0600, Fly-by-Night CC wrote (in article ):

Gee Owen, Crack open your Edward Abbey books recently? :^)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce
[snip] | |I was born in Cottonwood/Clarkdale area - after college, lived almost a |decade in Flagstaff; my mom lives in Sedona. When I courted my wife and |visited her stomping grounds I enjoyed the rural feel along with the |scrub oaks, knee-high yellow grass, the ruggedness of the Chiricahuas |and the Dragoons and the eerie, desolate ghost towns of deep southern |Arizona. I haven't been back for almost 10 years so perhaps the same |thing that happened up north has also happened down there.

No what's happened down here is Wetbacks. Sorry, I know that's not politically correct, I should have said )*@^#^ wetbacks---I mean---poor downtrodden, freedom loving, individuals just looking for work.

Despite what Homeland Security says, it is completely unsafe for a citizen of the United States of American to travel in the backcountry (or even in a national park) within 100 miles of the border unless his well-armed.

A buddy and I and our wives took a trip over the Dragoons from the west side over to Pierce a couple of years ago. We took Middlemarch Road out of Tombstone and on the way down from Tucson passed a Border Patrol checkpoint at the junction of Highways 80 and 82.

In the mountains we encountered four broken down and alien smugglers, all clearly had used abandoned vans. At one windmill/water tank, where we get out to look around, the ground looked like the dump. Litter everywhere and I got the distinct feeling that some of the litterers were hiding in the bushes. My buddy, a flaming liberal notices my holstered .357 and says, "What are you doing with that?"

I said, "Look around you. Here we are a couple of guys with two new

4X4 trucks and two women, do you think we're targets or what?"

He says, "Oh, I see your point."

Note to Homeland Security: Two middle-aged guys and their wives, while out for a Sunday drive, easily avoided the Border Patrol's checkpoint. What if we'd been wearing hankies on our heads?

And it goes on. Two weeks ago a newlywed elderly couple, sitting in their car waiting for a red light to change, were murdered when a truck full of illegals fleeing from the police went airborne and crushed them.

's something to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. These killings occurred on the highway that fronts Ft. Huachuca, home of the Army Intelligence Center. Yet Ft. Huachuca is a smuggling route for drugs and aliens! The United States Army cannot prevent invaders from a foreign country from entering its bases.

come on down. Bring a gun.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Wes wrote in very small part:

The "town" is spelled Pearce. Same as my Mailing address ;-).

Ed

Reply to
Ed Erbeck Jr.

Can you see the Co-op plant from your house? (I'm in the great white north now, but my roots are in that Valley.) You know where the Big Draw is?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Nope can't see the Power Plant - I'm also an Amateur Astronomer and had the realtor check if it was visible from here - Me thinks you know the area!!! As to "Big Draw" only area I know of is near Dragoon/Texas Canyon. Oh and to keep this within the Woodworking realm - to get any Wood working materials or tools, it's a 60 mile one way trip to either Sierra Vista or Tucson. But no complaints the Skies are wonderful!!!!!!

Ed

Reply to
Ed Erbeck Jr.

Just close your eyes.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Hayduke Lives! (Never read that one, akshuly.) My favorite is A Fools Progress - especially when the guy shoots his fridge. With any luck, maybe I'll end up on the land where ol'Ed rests...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

|In article , Bruce |wrote: | |> Crack open your Edward Abbey books recently? :^) | |Hayduke Lives! (Never read that one, akshuly.) My favorite is A Fools |Progress - especially when the guy shoots his fridge.

I've got an autographed copy of that one. Henry is Abbey...Abbey is Henry.

|With any luck, |maybe I'll end up on the land where ol'Ed rests...

But few know where that is. [g]

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Given the signed book, do you?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Okay, that's it! I read this thread and now I'm officially homesick! Grew up in Colorado but landed in Tucson at the UofA. Stayed on for several years after school and still get back there once a year or so to visit old friends. I've read all of Ed Abbey (actually partied with him once at an Earth First! gathering) as well Joseph Wood Krutch and Dave Quammen (another Tucson resident while his wife was in nursing school). Spent many happy days hiking with my girlfriend->wife all over So. AZ. Hope to get back there permanently when the kids go off to school. Sigh.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Dodd

|In article , | Wes Stewart wrote: | |> But few know where that is. [g] | |Given the signed book, do you?

Alas, no. And I'd be fibbing if I said that I even met him. My wife got the book for me at a signing.

But in an "It's a small world" story, I knew a guy who knew Abbey quite well. That was the late Ike Russell, the subject of the book "Backcountry Pilot." (I have an inscribed copy of this one too, although as you will see, not by Ike)

Ike flew Abbey into Baja California on at least one occasion, which is documented in "Pilot" by Doug Peacock, believed to be the model for Hayduke. Peacock also talks about the burial of Abbey in this chapter.

Both my dad and Ike were taught to fly by the same instructor, Skeet Taylor, at the "old" Benson, AZ airport in the late 1940's. (I have my dad's logbook that shows his first flight 7-26-46) I don't know whether they knew each other, but I met Ike and spent a fair amount of time at his house, because his son, Luke, and I went to high school together and shared an interest in ham radio.

I bring this up because I *do* know where Ike is buried... in his back yard. This burial is well documented in the book and has a nice punch line associated with it.

When the backyard burial was mentioned, people would say, "I didn't know that you could do that."

The response was always, "You can, if you have a shovel."

Reply to
Wes Stewart