Tung oil came out blotchy

You know, watching this thread from the sidelines, the old advice always comes to me:

Practice on a scrap, not on your projects.

I think if I were you Aaron, I would wipe everything off down to bare wood, sand it clean, and use something off the shelf. No matter how well you clean or sand, you will some resin penetration in your wood from your previous efforts, so I wouldn't be playing chemist on a medium you have contaminated.

Many off the shelf products have have all manner of "stuff" in them to help them adhere and lay out correctly and that may be the ticket at this point.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've not used any products from McCloskey's before. But if I wind up getting some varnish from this vendor, I'll definitely not try adding any oil to it.

Just to be clear, when you say "oil" are you talking about a raw oil like pure linseed oil or pure tung oil (i.e., one that does not have any additional drying/polymerizing agents added to it)?

I'll be looking for this product. I'm always interested in trying different finishing products that are easy to work with and provide good results.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

"Michael Faurot" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.news:

The oil I'm talking about here is the Boiled Linseed Oil in the yellow and white can from the local, neighborhood hardware store. A good, solid generic product. Sunnyside brand, I think. Not some top of the line stuff, but works just fine on its own as drying oil.

I have a can of raw oil that I bought for doing a fence, but that's somewhere else now.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch