Toxic Finish?

I applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish to my cutting board (one coat) and then started to question its toxicity. Because you can not call Minwax on the weekend, I decided to just sand the crap off and apply some food safe Salad Bowl finish that I picked up today. I am still a little paranoid that their still might be some finish soaked deep into the pores that I can't get out.

I know that poly is Non-toxic when dry and Tung oil is non toxic, but I am not sure if they add any chemical drying agents that could be toxic.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Stoutman

Running out of things to worry about, are we??? :)

I wouldn't worry much, once it is dry it will be pretty much contained anyway.

If you're really worried about it, you could look at the MSDS for the product which I'm sure you could find via a link from Minwax.

Reply to
dpb

I have one toxic finish that's just about "not recommended for chewing". I have to make it myself (lead dried boiled linseed) because you can't even sell it any more.

These days, if they're selling a finish it's a major event if it has the _slightest_ implication for toxicity. They're really just awfully hard to find now.

Cobalt dried oils have _some_ concerns about the use of cobalt, but this is magnitudes less serious than lead ever was. We might see moves away from it in years to come, but it's certainly not a risk today or a reason to get sandpaper out.

Reply to
dingbat

Reply to
Darrell Feltmate

I'm curious as to why you go to the trouble to do that.

Reply to
fredfighter