To use hide glue?

All true, but it's fun!

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

So thought I. Mine, a Toastmaster, has no regulator. It just keeps getting hotter. Have to watch the temp and unplug it.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I think I saw the same "somewhere." The advice was to use plastic ice cube trays; after freezing, pop them in a baggie and keep 'em in the freezer until needed. Wish I could remember where I stashed that URL...

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I put the glue in a glass jar- jelly jar, peanut butter jar- whatever disposable I have at hand. if it cleans easily I'll reuse it. if not I'll pitch it.

the jar goes in a pan of water on a hotplate.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

make a regulator. a cord with a male plug, a double gang switch box, a duplex outlet and a dimmer switch and a cover and you're good to go. just watch the wattage max on the dimmer.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I can't seem to find the one I have - we got it for a wedding present

10 years ago (and it "disappeared" out to the shop about 6 years ago...) which has 3 temp settings. Here are some others though (be sure to get one with temp settings and see which one works best for you)

Duke of Burl

Yeah, I have a spare dimmer laying around. I've got all the parts you mentioned, but still lack a round tuit. Somebody in the market for a new crock pot might want to use the crowbar on a fancier model.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I'm not a professional woodworker, but I've built alot of furniture using hide glue. How many times have you glued something up with regular wood glue and while finishing discovered one of those spots in a tight corner that has absorbed glue. It seems that plywood can aborb the glue right though the veneer into the core. As an alternative, if you use hide glue, any glue that penetrates the wood surrounding a joint seems to blend into the finish.

I don't buy the weakness argument. I have a kitchen table, kitchen cabinets, and a fireplace mantel that are held together with hide glue. All are subjected to heat & moisture, and there's been no joint failure. If I was making another table, I'd use hide glue.

I'm baffled why more woodworkers don't use hide glue.

Reply to
MrAnderson

It's a pain to use. Nowadays it's a minor pain, in the past (before thermostatic gluepots) it must have been a considerable pain. Those who havent used it think it's worse than it really needs to be.

Reply to
Andy Dingley