To Sir, with Love...

As I mentioned before, I volunteer in a kindergarten class once a week and generally take 3 or 4 kids to a side area to read to them. There are a few kids who really want to be near me and in the group. One little fella came up to me a couple weeks ago and said, "I wish you were my dad." Melted my heart. A little girl, cute as a bug with red hair and freckles, always positions herself at the rear of the line at the end of the day when we're filing out of the class room and invariably takes my hand as we walk out - I recently found out her father has been in jail for a while now. It's so sad to see the effects of parental behaviors and living situations in guys as little as these 5 and 6 year olds. Whoever says that kids will get over it or that they won't be affected by what's going on has no clue.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Damn if that didn't bring tears to my eyes!! God, or whoever, bless you for doing what you're doing.

Reply to
Swingman

Jana -

No, I *DID NOT* suspect that the student was high at the time - and I agree, I would have never let him in the shop had that been the case.... In hindsight, it is a suspicion - red eyes, etc... but it is only that...

I agree with your other remarks, but have a ways to go to even get to that level - storage cabinets and a PLACE to lock things up, to start...

Reply to
John Moorhead

John, I'm glad to hear that. In our school, if a kid is caught with so much as a cigarette on school grounds, the police are called, the kid is taken to the cop shop, and the parents have to come pick their child up. Plus, there's probation and community service involved. It's treated the same as an illegal substance. It's kind of sad how the kids on the Red Lake Indian Rez were pictured on the local news with cigarettes in their mouths while viewing memorials at the front door of the school....back to the issue...Not just the tool cabinets were kept locked, but the entire shop area. That way, there was no one in there at any time that was unsupervised. By the way, after reading this thread, it made me pretty thankful we chose to live in rural IA where Dads DO read to their kids as well as attend concerts and conferences. Kids may mistakenly call their teachers Mom or Dad or Grandma but it usually would go right over the teacher's heads and the other students wouldn't tease because they've all done it, too. Teachers are allowed/expected to hug students (in elementary anyway). We're supposed to sign in when we visit the school, but if you forget, everyone knows who you are and why you're there. Jana

John Moorhead wrote:

that...

classroom

machinery?!