Taper for a Candle Holder ?

I'm thinking of making some candle holders out of some cherry.

How would you make a tapered hole to receive a candle?

Thanks, Stoutman

Reply to
Stoutman

I don't own a lathe. I am going to try and replicate some antique (barn style ?) candle holders. The original uses brass to receive the candle.

Reply to
Stoutman

This could be it...:

Name

7/8 taper to 3/4 is pretty standard, so I reground a spade bit to do the job. There is also the option of candle cups of metal or wood. Some can be recessed out of sight.
Reply to
George

Well, if you start with a 3/4" hole, you have an excuse to buy one of these...

*g*
mac davis

In the absense of a lathe, bore a 3/4" hole, then rebore a 7/8" hole half way down. Put a small brass spike in the bottom.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Don't bother tapering the hole, the candle can cope with that.

Candleholders really should be lined with a non-charring non-flammable liner. I make and sell candle sconces, I've done the experiments! Although you probably couldn't set one on fire by deliberately trying to, you'll easily get charring if you let the candle burn out. That's either ugly to look at afterwards, or translates to angry customers later.

So mine always use a copper cup to receive the candle. You can buy these from craft shops at great expense, or you can use plumber's end caps for

22mm pipe (cheap, if you buy bagfuls from the right place).
Reply to
Andy Dingley