Table Saw Molding Head

That's not necessary. The comments you are replying to were simply in response to the preceding comment which speculated that the speed of a cutter coming off would approximate the speed of a 30-06 bullet.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well you have probably 400 grain for the cutter. Its not brass and lead like the bullet so it is going to be larger on the size to weight ratio. Then a 200 grain bullet is probably going to be coming out of a more powerful gun with a muzzle velocity of about 15 to 20 times more speed than the molding head cutter.

What do you think? The object is 2 or 3 times heavier but 15 to 20 time slower speed.

Reply to
Leon

Still I would much rather be hit by that cutter then the 30-06 bullet .

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Arvid Sorsdahl

Reply to
Leon

You both have stated it somewhat differently but you both were saying the same thing. All else being equal, the chip load on the single flute cutter is greater.

Reply to
CW

Lesson to be learned here: don't stick your hand in the path of a moving blade. Pretty universal

Reply to
CW

You know, I never really noticed whether the grind was identical on the 3 knife cutters that I have. I did notice however that none of the cutters would seat in the same position on the cutter head. Tightening the set screw would often nudge the cutter a bit. And now you throw in the fact that cuter knives are not always perfect. LOL

Reply to
Leon

;~) I was not gonna say it.

Reply to
Leon

No, I would say that the cutter head is weighted to compensate for the weight of a cutter and all cutters for that head are of the same weight.

Increasing projection will up set balance if the changing projection remains the same weight.

Correct if the projection changes after the balance has been made. Differnt projections would have to be made heavier or lighter to compensate for their changes.

Correct. That is why the cutter with another projection would have to be made lighter or heavier to maintain the blaance. Add or take away length.

Ok, you are assuming that all cutters for the single cutter head are not tuned for that particular cutter head.

This cutter head that we are discussing has been around for a long time. There have been no complaints of there being a vibration or balance problem that I have ever heard of. This is not all theory, the tools exist and run with out exagerated vibration.

We are both beating our heads against a brick wall here. ;~)

The tool exists and has for many years. Apparently it works.

Reply to
Leon