Survey time - what is your favourite plane?

I assume you meant to say SR-71. That's my choice.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

or Ye Olde

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Sorry - I'm a touhc dyslectic - I can't ytpe either.

Dave

Teamcasa

Given that the only reason that the one crashed (there were only two built), is that some hot-dog in a F-104 clipped the vertical stabilizer during a photo-shoot, I'd call that crash rate rather meaningless.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Tyke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net: [snippage]

Two favorites:

A type-16 #4 Stanley. Has some of the nicest rosewood I've seen on a plane. And, it was the first plane I was able to get tuned up to the point where it'd work like a plane.

My other favorite, and one that gets a lot more use, is the Lee Valley Low Angle Block. This one feels really good in the hand, and works exceptionally well. I've also got the chamfering attachment for it, which is really handy ...

Reply to
John Thomas

I don't think Joe Walker would consider what he was doing hot-dogging. Please don't get me wrong, both pilots were doing what they were told to do.

apologize for my flippant remarks in my earlier post. Dave

Teamcasa

A cleaned up old #8

Reply to
danger

Likewise. Joe wasn't a hot-dog, but one could argue that the publicity flacks were a proximate cause (I can just visualize the photographer in the Lear saying to Joe "Just a bit more, a bit more - closer, ooops".

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I like the blackbird for personal reasons, but it's hard to say that the Valkyrie isn't the sleekest piece of aluminum ever to slip the surly. Seeing it in person at Wright-Patterson was almost a religious experience.

When my dad came to visit at Beale, he liked to watch while T-38's, painted white, chased the blackbird around the pattern. "like a shark and his pilotfish...."

Reply to
George

My favorite plane is a Stanley transitional coffin plane. It is the only thing that my dad owned that was his father's, who died when my dad was 8. Thus it is the only thing that I own that once belonged to my grandfather, who I never knew. The mouth is too wide (due to the wood base having been flattened a number of times over the years) and it is not the easiest to adjust, but I have other planes for actual use. I get this one out periodically to sharpen and run it over some wood just for the fun of it and to let it be used. Granddad might have liked that.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

There's more to woodworking than tools. I think you've got your heart in the right place.

RicodJour

Stanley 7 that I got at an estate sale. I also got a Sargent 5, a Keen Kutter 6, and a block plane.

I use the block plane the most, and often the Sargent but I really love running that Stanley over a board. It just feels so *right*.

I've got LC scraper and scrub and I like 'em but I was a little surprised that when I need to plane anything, no matter what the job, the first one I want to grab is that Stanley jointer.

Reply to
else24