Stripping polymerized linseed oil

Hi all,

I goofed when applying a polymerized linseed oil/beeswax topcoat. I got sidetracked and did not properly wipe off the excess before it dried. So now it's very sticky. I've been stripping some of it off (along with the stain :/) with Strip Kleen varnish remover, but it's very slow going. MEK also requires lots of time, elbow grease, and gloves. Is there something easier?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Michael White

Possibly acetone, but it still requires gloves, terry towels, and lots of elbow grease.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew,

Thanks - that stuff did the job best of all. I finished the job in an hour, versus with the Strip Kleen, I did about a quarter of it in an hour. I went through quite a few of those disposable gloves, though.

Reply to
Michael White

When it comes to the ketones, acetone has the most "zip" compared to MIK, MEK, etc.

Glad things worked out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And they make it in 4 grades, too:

  1. Low strength acetone

  1. Medium strength acetone

  2. High strength acetone,

and,

  1. for those really, really, tough jobs,

KICK ACETONE.

Reply to
lwasserm