Stick Templating

Can someone please explain "stick templating"? Is it just gluing up strips of thin wood into like a lattice to measure a countertop ? Thanks, John

Reply to
Johnny_A_58

the thin strips allow you to scribe walls individually rather than having to fit the whole thing in one shot. hot glue and brads or staples seems to be the ticket for a quick strong lightweight template.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Yes. The granite guys here use that method to template the countertops. One guy uses strips of cardboard and another uses corrugated plastic sign material. I don't know how they hold together on the truck ride back to the shop. I guess they do because the tops usually fit.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I've seen a version of it with just a single stick, and the outline of the stick is drawn in various locations on the template material. Since the size of the stick is fixed, this allows for the shape to be recreated later.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

That's the boat builder's version of sticking.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Buy a luan doorskin..(less than 10 bucks) and rip it into 2-7/8" strips. Use tin-snips to cut to length and hot-melt with an Arrow 1/2" hotmelt gun. Total value of the deal.. about 30 bucks... and it is the way to do bathroom floor templates, countertops, slabs of barkerboard around windows..etc, etc.

My countertops always fit.

Robatoy

Also, called a story stick. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Not really.

In "tick sticking", you're marking the location of the stick on the template, not on the stick.

A "story stick" is marked itself, with things like shelf locations, for making identical or mirror imaged parts.

**
**

B A R R Y

Standard stuff to layout bulkheads inside a boat hull.

Fred Bingham covers it in Practical Yacht Joinery.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I was so waiting for you to post that. Seriously!

I learned to tick stick from a yacht fitter.

**
**

B A R R Y

I re-read the earlier post, and I agree it's not a story stick. I use sticks a lot instead of measuring, but the marks are always on the stick.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes