stain repair help

I bought a piece of furniture and temporarily put masking tape on it.

When I pealed it off, part of the original finish came with it. I tried to apply a closely matching stain but the stain would not go into the wood.

I sanded the area and tried again but the stain will still not go into the wood.

Anyone have any suggestions? The stain I bought is very close in color to the original if I could only get the wood to absorb it.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

My first thought was that if the finish peeled off then it is something that was applied over the top of the wood. You're trying to get the wood to absorb a finish and match something that doesn't sound like it was "absorbed" in the first place. There might have been a sealer over the wood and then something else applied over the sealer. Perhaps a glaze? This might explain your problem. The masking tape might have pulled the glaze off and left the sealer untouched which is why your stain isn't being absorbed. I'm not a finish expert by any means, but I would probably try to match something like a gel stain. Again, maybe someone else here can help you determine the type of finish that is currently on the piece. A couple of solvents applied judiciously should help you identify it. HTH. Mark

Reply to
Werlax

Visit

and look for the refinishing forum I believe is mixed with restoration. Sounds like the tape pulled off the toner that was laying on top of the sealer as Werlax suggested. Try lacquer thinner in an inconspicuous spot to see if lacquer is the finish so you'll know what materials to not use.

Reply to
nospambob