Square bench dog holes - worth doing the ledge?

Ahh... hickory over here is stiff hard and chippy... sometimes I buy the chips and smoke a corned beef or a chicken with it.

Do your springs flex good enough without breaking? I know our standard white oak would work perfectly.

Reply to
AAvK

The whole dog is cherry. Only because it was nice-looking scrap. I would think anything harder than pine would work acceptably.

The springyness (tension?) of the spring is a function of thickness of the slat. I just experimented to get what I felt worked well. I was happy with the results of my second try.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

So is hickory in England. We don't have any, it's imported from you.

It's stiff, but if you saw it thin it's springy enough. If I hadn't had a broken hammer shaft and a bandsaw to hand, I'd have used riven ash. (although our ash is much better than American ash)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've heard that about English ash.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Pissed?

Reply to
AAvK

I kind of envy you that, actually. My square ones can be a real PITA when the humidity changes. Not to mention all the useless work I could have saved myself! Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus