Spare parts

I inherited a mondo Rockwell table saw. Big honking aluminum (or some metal) frame. It has no base, and it takes two men to move it. I'm going to make a rolling base for it, and see if I can get rid of a couple of the biggest rattles and wobbles.

It has a fence, although not a great one. It's the one that came with the machine, and uses a thumbscrew to move it. You have to slide it a small amount on one end, do the same on the other end, repeat repeat repeat. Will put some lithium on there, but am sure it will be a dust magnet. Does anyone make a fence that has the quick cam release? And I need a couple of T's that go in the slots. Ebay? Are these mostly the same size, or is there a variety of them.

I really like the ones on my Delta, as they have a T that fits into a slot, and the whole thing cannot come out except from either end of the slot in the table.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

good to see you gave yourself a timeout and came back in a better mood

Reply to
ChairMan

"Mike Marlow" wrote

I like and use Google, but in this case, I would have had a mountain of responses from anything from the Rockwell hardness scale to Rockwell the person. Asking questions that are to the point help save me time. You must admit that when you get 12,395,392 answers in .043 seconds, that some of them are not going to be to the point. I call it the shotgun approach. I prefer the scope on the bullseye approach.

YMM(and probably does)V Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"mondo" Rockwell doesn't quite describe the saw...

What is the model number ?

All Rockwell tools have a model number.

What size and make, is the motor ?

Does it look like this ?

this:
?id=13887or
?id=13724Can you post a picture anywhere but here ???

Delta/Rockwell made "many" saws but mondo wasn't a model I recall.

The first picture is NOT Rockwell but that is Websters definition of "mondo".

Reply to
Pat Barber

Steve, throw away the fence that is on it now. Look up Biesemeyer on google. You can make a clone if you have the time and talent. Here is a well detailed explanation:

am guessing without a model number, but it sounds like you do NOT have a cabinet saw and you tell that it is heavy, so I would surmise that it is a contractor style saw with the motor sticking out the back end. As you set it up, plan out a side table and "catch" table so you can manage a full sheet of plywood with relative ease

Reply to
DanG

Yes, sounds what I have, but don't have the model number in front of me at this moment. Was underneath there today, and looking at the gears to adjust blade height and saw angle. It is a "contractor grade" saw. It is very heavy, but the fence is terrible, having to move it a quarter to an eighth of an inch on each end at a time. Still, it's just a little better than the Delta I have, but with the ease of adjustment of the Delta, the Rockwell doesn't beat it by much. I still need to make a tubular steel metal base for it, and get it all set up with some side wings to see what it will really do. I'm not a cabinet maker, and something that will just saw square is acceptable in this shop.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A good contractors saw is great. One of the best features is you can easily build your own base to suit your needs. My base has my jointer on one side, and the jointer fence is exactly the same height as saw top, so it acts as a extension. All of it is the same height as the work bench top beside it, which also acts as an extension table for long work. It has built in dust collection and is mobile. Here's a picture to give you some ideas:

is very heavy, but the fence is terrible, having to move it a quarter to an

Trash the fence immediately. Buy a Delta 36-T30 fence, which is a Biesemeyer fence for half the cost. Buy the Biesemeyer if you have money to burn. I got mine at Lowe's on sale for $100, list was 150 a few years ago. Best money I ever spent on the shop. I installed it on my 58 year old saw, no problem.

Nice thing about tool benches is you don't need to be a cabinet maker to make them. You can make them to learn how to be a cabinet maker:-) Make them out of construction grade lumber, cheap, mistakes are cheap, and they look great. I made my benches to learn cabinet making, and the last one I made, this one, is the cheapest since I wasn't practicing anymore, I made it quick and dirty, but it's still nice and 100% tailored to my specific needs.

Reply to
Jack

work?

Reply to
Dave

Perfectly. All the dust falls directly on to the floor.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It collects most of the sawdust that would normally pile up under the saw. A small amount escapes around the belt, not much.

Reply to
Jack

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 00:02:42 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

I'm sure it could, just that with most contractor's saws, there's many areas where dust has to be collected. The contractor's saw I use is on an open stand and I have to keep it that way so I can use it properly, so boxing it up is not an option for me.

Reply to
Dave