source for large tambours, or suggestions for building them?

Hi folks, I am biddig on a job to build a 72" wide rolltop desk, which will need a tambour in athe 68" wide range. None of my noremal suppliers have them that big. Does anyone know of a supplier that does? if not, has anyone ever tried to build one themselves? how much of a hassle was it? any tips or suggestions appreciated. thanks

--JD New World Magic Woodworks

Reply to
jd

Norm did it with canvas and contact glue on new yankie workshop IIRC

Reply to
badger.badger

Hmmm - I saw some, not sure the size, but big. Furniture maker passed and wife was selling his stuff. Al that was left was some wood, a grinder, several tambours and a few odds and ends. IN SE PA. Let me know if you want the number.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

I make them all the time for bread boxes but not that big. I would not see problems with one that big. Just make sure you use a good quality canvas. I lay the canvas down on some MDF. Nail a strip of wood down on the edge. Pull the canvas tight and nail the other side to the MDF. Then glue the tambours down tight against the nailed strip. That will keep everything aligned.

Reply to
Jody

I forgot to add. I use a 2-Piece Tambour Door Bit Sets I got from pricecutter. At the time I only planned to make a few. I might have gotten a little higher quality bit set.

Reply to
Jody

Easy to build your own. But, a wide tambour will really want to bind. Also, some subtle points to consider...(for instance the tambour does not ride on the shoulders of the tenon, it rides on the bottom of the tenon). Other than that they are cheaper to build yourself and the results are better.

Reply to
TAF

Wouldn't some sort of plastic roller-bearing on each end piece work here?

I guess it'd make the thing a bit more expensive though.

Reply to
Owamanga