Source for i-beam clamp?

Am looking for one of those adjustable girder clamps to fasten on the i-beam that runs across my shop's ceiling, in order to hang a hoist. Any sources that run less than $100? TIA.

TT

Reply to
TT

Size of beam (not web) & with or without rollers?

Erik Ahrens

Reply to
ELAhrens

Oh, I forgot - Tonnage ?

Erik Ahrens

Reply to
ELAhrens

I-beam is 5-1/4" wide, no rollers needed, and a clamp good for 1 ton will be at least twice as strong as anything I'll be needing to lift. The i-beam is actually up in a joist (runs parallel to them, of course), and one problem I might have is there's only about 1-5/8" clearance between the side of the i-beam and one of the joists. The joist on the other side of the i-beam has at least 6" to 8" clearance, so that side should have plenty of room to get a clamp in. I'm just a little worried about the narrow clearance side. TIA.

TT

Reply to
TT

FYI...

Accepted safety margin for any product used for overhead lifting or rigging is 5X. In other words, if your intended maximum load is 1,000 lbs., all hardware being used should be rated to no less than 5,000 lbs.

I trust you've already confirmed the I beam (and its supporting structure) will handle an additional 1,000 lb. load at the intended lift point.

Reply to
Mark

(Honest question.) Should the beam handle an additional 1000 or 5000 lbs, in view of your first paragraph?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

5,000 _At The Point Of Attachment_ (as well as everywhere else).
Reply to
Mark

Try a commercial plumbing supply store. Quite often larger piping (ie 3-12") is hung from the beams in buildings. The hangers are attached to the beams with clamps. Another source may be a tool rental outlet.

Erik

Reply to
ELAhrens