Small smoothing plane marked "Holtzapffel & Co London"

I have a very small (4-3/4" x 1-1/2") smoothing plane similar to that shown in fig. 538, item c (top right) on page 361 of Salaman's Dictionary of Tools, 1975.

Rear infill and wedge are rosewood, front infill looks mahogany. Bridge is brass or gunmetal and is stamped with the Holtzapffel mark. Body is steel, and the tapered iron is not marked and is not laminated.

What can you tell me about Holtzapffel & Co as a planemaker, and who might venture an opinion regarding a range of values in today's market?

Reply to
Fred

Not a great deal - they're generally thought of as a maker of turning equipment for gentleman hobbyists (search for "ornamental turning" or "rose engine"), rather than a planemaker. But there's a good collector interest in anything with their name on it.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Klein bottle - the mobius strip version of a vessel. Haven't thought of that one since my first calculas class.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

with no way in......

apply within. heh.

Reply to
nospam

or out....

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

On 24 Dec 2003, Jim Wilson spake unto rec.woodworking:

Actually, in IS out, and vice versa. It's a one-sided surface, with zero volume.

Check this out - I particularly like the hats.

Scott Cramer

which means there's no way in or out.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

And you last read "The Number of the Beast" when?

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure