small hose/adapter for sander?

I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia. Id like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of all. Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing? The sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease of movement.

any thoughts?

Reply to
trs80

Either "jerry-rig" it, or head to

for a "universal tool adapter"? Tom

Reply to
tom

And it would be in the "dust collection fittings" department. It's not illustrated. Tom

Reply to
tom

A 1 1/4" flex hose (Porter Cable sells one), duct tape, and a toilet paper or paper towel tube will adapt anything. Slit the tube, wrap the "nipple", and tape it to a thickness that matches the inside of the hose. Change the tool, not the hose, and you'll only do this once.

My sanders, biscuit joiners, router fences, etc... all work great with this method.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I know that Bosch makes one for theirs, and it works a treat. They do have an adjustable vent to bleed in air which helps ease the load on the vacuum or DC, but has to be set carefully to avoid the whistle. Klingspor is where I got mine.

Reply to
George

Reply to
trs80

Who makes the sander?

Reply to
Oughtsix

Very possibly, depends on the Borg.

This is the one I have:

This particular hose is very durable, plenty flexible, and light. A store bought connector adapts it to my 2 1/2" vacuum hose.

This thing

will turn the vacuum on and off with the tool.

Velcro cable ties or double sided velcro strips, will strap the electrical cord to the hose making it all easy to handle.

Last, but not least, a bungee from an overhead bicycle hook will hold the hose / cable out of the way. Overhead bicycle hooks are great for managing air hoses, too. I've got 'em all over the shop.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I bought the Porter Cable vacuum hose for their QuickSand sander just before finding out that a dishwasher discharge hose is the right diameter.

Reply to
Nova

B A R R Y wrote in news:G7Mvh.5681$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

&vertical=S

My BORG wouldn't have one, but Rockler did. And they were quite proud of that part. I think that the flexible hose for the $55 sander was very close to $30.

I ought to get that out and hook it up more...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

its a makita sander.

I went to Home depot and got a 6' 1.25 dia hose so that will work.

They wanted $5 for a 3" tube to adapt the 2.25" vacuum hose size. That is criminal!! Im making some dust collection interfaces for jointer and planer. I wandered around looking at PVC, pipe, hose for an alternative but nothing is very close. There is no way I will spend $5 for a plastic tube. I cut some duct up or something first and squeeze to the right size.

Reply to
trs80

Reply to
trs80

Reply to
trs80

Good thinking. Dude, you don't want to know how many times I've spent

4 hours making something I could have gone and picked up for 5 bucks plus gas. But I think it's the journey... Tom
Reply to
tom

I was having the same problem, and after much searching in the logical plumbing / ducting areas, I found 25 foot hoses designed for septic system use for about $10. They were in the back of one of the Houston area BORGs next to the sump pumps (I think), though I don't remember which chain, or have the part number. They come in a number of diameters, and are light weight spiral plastic that look like vacuum cleaner hoses. They do not have metal reinforcing. About every 6 feet, there's a 4" straight part with plastic reinforcing ribs to make cutting to desired length easy. Hooked straight to a big shopvac and with the end stopped off, they shrink lengthwise down the accordian / spiral, but don't collapse. I have them strung all over the shop to different tools via a 2x2x2 box that acts as a plenum, then to a trash can chip separator that goes to the vac. Poor man's sawdust collector. ;) For your adapter, try a 35mm film can with the bottom cut off. I've made a bunch of adapters out of left over PVC parts from sink piping repair kits. All it usually takes is a little sanding or making some lenghthwise slits in the thin plastic. Get creative!

trs80 wrote:

Reply to
<Joe