Shop safety advice

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:15:28 +0100, Andy Dingley calmly ranted:

The recently sharpened one severed the fibers of your skin nicely, so they should heal with relatively little scarring and less pain. Be thankful it was the sharp one. DAMHIKT

I kept the little plastic sleeve which came on my LVT carver's drawknife. It has saved me at least twice now that I think of it. I should work up some leather sleeves for the other two, full-size old drawknives I found on Ebay for $5 apiece. That or build more tool storage like I'm always threatening.

You crafty devil, you.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I use a lot of that stuff. For drawknives I prefer leather though, because it has the tensile strength to make a wrapper held with either press studs or velcro. I have tried using plastazote foam for these - it worked OK as a sleeve, but the fasteners kept tearing out.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My father was a jeweler who used those lovely pointed x-acto knives extensively. He worked sitting down and usually crosslegged. He's over at his bench, I'm over at mine wooddorking-and I hear a resigned "shit!" Look over to see my father looking down at an x-acto knife embedded up to the hilt in his thigh doing that boooiiiiingggggg! thing from the cartoons. We both flash on that scene in Young Frankenstein-"hearts and kidneys are tinkertoys!" We laughed so hard it was several minutes before either of us had hands steady enough to pull it out safely. The good news is those suckers are sharp, and the edges knit right away.

Dale

WilliaJ2 wrote:

Reply to
dale austin

My first solo spin with the router. I was modifying a speaker cabinet so that the horn mount would hold a larger driver.

It was time to change bits, so I CAREFULLY unplugged the router, and held the plug in my hand so that no one would "help" by plugging it back in for me.

Then I grabbed the hot router bit in my bare hand.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles