Shop dog LOVES oak!

I'd figure it was the other way around, but if it's true, my guess would be that raw bones splinter differently than cooked ones.

Reply to
Upscale

Cooked.. He'd eat the chicken and toss the bones to his dogs. Scared the crap out of me, and when I brought up the issue of punctured intestines, he scoffed.

Since his dogs lived I guess that while it may be an unsafe practice it isn't certain death either. Sort of like not using a splitter on your tablesaw. There was a time when tablesaws didn't have splitters and people didn't get kickback on every ripping cut.

Reply to
fredfighter

I was thinking of what the dog's family's been doing since everyone was a neander... they and their wild cousins have been chewing up the bones of smaller animals and breaking up and chewing the bones of larger animals for a long time, without cooking them.

And that it was an "essential skill". :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I commented once to my father that I had heard that dogs have trouble digesting pork. He asked "How do you think dogs survived befor people started feeding them?"

OTOH, I would expect that more razorbacks eat dogs than vice-versa.

Reply to
fredfighter

When I was wee, we hunted feral pigs in NorCal. They were scary enough, but I've always wondered what sort of beast a Razorback is.

Once in Germany I had a closeup look at a european wild pig (wildschwein). Young or fully grown, I would NOT want to run into one of those in the woods with anything less than a bazooka.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

This is a very dangerous situation, as if the string has gone far in enough, and you try to pull it out, it can severely injure or kill the cat. The next time, you should take the cat to the vet if you see that she has eaten string, especially if it's gone all the way through. Sounds like an urban legend, but it does happen.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

Ever have a cat eat Christmas tree tinsel?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y