Shellac

"Leon" wrote in news:JNudnTnI8 snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The whole process can be very green :-] : Reduce: Print plans to scale Reuse: Use plans to polish project Recycle: Print new plans on the other side (this only works if the plans don't tear and you use only one side.)

I'll have to give the paper/bag trick a try.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It does produce a different finish. A little higher sheen, but just as smooth. I haven't decided if I like it better, it might be one of those things where either way works well.

I also tried applying the wax after rubbing with the steel wool. You can still feel the wax on the wood.

*snip*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If you like gloss, Turtle Wax scratch and swirl remover is the icing on the cake. You'll know when the surface is like glass when the buffing rag makes squeaking noises like a rag on a freshly Windexed window.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Or feel like plastic. Not the case with shellac, which can be rubbed out or French polished to a cold, glasslike sheen, in both appearance and feel.

de quoted text -

Reply to
Father Haskell

Father Haskell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s4g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

Is there any silicone to worry about with that product? My primary concern would be cross contamination from getting some on a bench or table.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

A midget has got little balls

Reply to
George W Frost

I use a very fine wet and dry paper of anything up to 4000 for the final finish, then some brown kraft paper with linseed of coarse. I like the gloss finish it gives. I have tried steel wool and I think 000 is the finest I have been able to get

Reply to
George W Frost

But, do you recycle your grog bottles ?

Reply to
George W Frost

Puckdropper wrote in news:4db76127$0$3968$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I applied multiple thin layers of Johnson paste wax using 0000 steel wool, and then a car polisher to polish the dried wax (>1 hour). The finish is glass smooth and low satiny shine. On my pine blanket chest it has lasted decades ...

Reply to
Han

Yes, particularly on hardwoods. I spray it on, let it dry a bit, spray it again. On the lathe, I just wipe it on with a rag. Can't say I like it much on Pine or softwoods so much. 0000 is the way to go.

I sometimes use it to seal pool cue shafts and apply it with a rag. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes (it drys almost immediately on a spinning lathe) and then sand it "all" off with 600 grit and or a magic eraser. You can't really get it all off, so what is left is a nicely sealed smooth shaft.

Reply to
Jack Stein

snipped-for-privacy@s4g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

That was my first question about the product. None that I can see, according to the MSDS.

Reply to
Father Haskell

innews: snipped-for-privacy@s4g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

If you want to be sure, then use the equivalent product from Meguiars or

3M (I think it would be Meguiars Swirl Remover M0916 or M0901 or 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish 06069, 06068, or 39062--the different numbers are for different sizes). The Meguiars and 3M are body-shop products and would be silicone-free. The Meguiars works fine for me with lacquer and polyurethanes and has never given any kind of problem.
Reply to
J. Clarke

snipped-for-privacy@s4g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

I'm biased toward Meguiar's, based on others' recommendations, shame Walmart didn't carry it.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I'm biased toward Meguiar's, based on others' recommendations, shame Walmart didn't carry it.

Meguiar's is a bit too upscale for WalMart.

Reply to
Leon

Meguiars and 3M see themselves as making products for the professional market. Only one store in this area (that I've been able to find and that Meguiars is aware of) has a major portion of their product line, and 3M you find only at automotive paint suppliers.

Reply to
J. Clarke