seeking advice on mortising attachment for Ridgid 15" dp...

I was wondering if anyone has had good results with a mortising attachment for a Ridgid drill press? The model I am speaking of is the DP1500 made by Emerson not the 1550 made offshore by Ryobi (I think?). Anyway, as I understand it, Delta's attachment is a sloppy fit and not well-suited to this press. Do any of you have any other reccomendations of an add-on mortising attachment for this drill press?? Maybe House of Tools or LV? Any help would be absolutely magnificient.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

Agree, or do them with a router and a few nice upcut spiral bits, makes a nice mortis, and all you need to do is round over the corners of the tennons with a small wood rasp, only takes a second or two...

Bob Kuphal -- Wisconsin

Howard Ruttan wrote:

Reply to
Bob Kuphal

"Bob Kuphal"

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I don't know about the House of Tools version, but the LV is essentially the same as the Delta. I'm not trying to be too much of a smartass, but if you buy one of those I hope you have a boat. It makes a better anchor than a mortiser. A dedicated mortiser isn't that much and if you tune the chisels properly you can get by quite nicely with the cheesy ones they give you when you buy it. Unless you are building a Prairie style sofa with umpteen million little slats in the back, you could try a mallet and mortising chisel. Handcutting them is relatively quick when you get onto it and makes you feel like a woodworking Tyrannosaurus Rex (to borrow part of a line from Jesse Ventura).

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Ridgid has a mortising kit for their drill presses. They have them at the local Home Depot and I don't think they are very expensive. The kits were there before the Ryobi takeover, so it should fit the "Emerson" DP's. If your local HD doesn't have any in stock, you can special order it thru them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Dave - I'll have to look into it. HD doesn't push these... that's for sure... never seen them.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian