Scarfing:

Can someone tell me how to scarf an sheet of 1/8" plywood I need pieces longer than the standard 8' sheet? I have heard of jigs you set up to use an power saw,but I can't seem to locate a description or method of operation. Any help much appreciated.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

Rey, Scarfing plywood is very easy if you have access to a portable 3 inch electric plane. Decide on the angle, generally 8 or 10 to 1, which would be 1or 1 1/4 inches for eighth inch stock. Mark the 1 inch line on the face of one piece, provide good, straight support under the edge and go to work with the plane. You can easily control the angle by looking at the plywood laminations. By keeping the laminations equal width and the plywood joint lines straight, you will make a nice flat surface for gluing. Do the same thing for the mating piece and glue with epoxy. This usually means painting epoxy on both surfaces and following with thickened epoxy. Align the sheets, and you have it. Judicious use of polyethylene sheeting will prevent gluing the long sheet to the workbench. Some people use tacks to hold the pieces in position. It is a good idea since two pieces of wood slathered in epoxy love to move around before the epoxy sets. Good luck. Doing a trial run is recommended. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Here's another approach...

Mike Marlow