Scarf Joint

I have a piece of red oak that is 60" x 4" x 1/4". I want to steam this and bend it. I have no problem doing that . Where I would like to get some help is with making a scarf to join the 2 ends after the wood is bent. Obviously I have to cut each end independantly but how do I make the cuts so they will form a perfect joint? Thanks for any and all help.

Reply to
trvlnmny

Can you clarify - are you wanting to join the ends to each other to form a cylinder or hoop?

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Make an inclined-plane jig (aka a ramp) and use either a hand plane or a router.

The real problem will be getting rid of the flat spot at the glued scarf joint in the round piece you'll be bending up.

RicodJour

scarf joint in the round piece you'll be bending up.

The only way to address that issue it to make the scarf on a diagonal so that you end up with something that looks like a paper tube.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That would probably eliminate most of the problem - mostly dependent on what the OP is using for a form and how he's planning on clamping it.

RicodJour

Haven't tried it, but seems to me you'll need more then a full revolution of your stock. After it sets, cut bent ends to fit. It will be a helix, but flexible enough to make straight, after the cuts.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I want to bend it to make a drum.

Reply to
trvlnmny

Are you aware that Anderson Internation, here in SoCal, sells the complete drum form you want?

Last time I was there, they were shipping some to New Zealand.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Cut the joint before bending. Rough cut the two pieces by whatever works. Clamp them together and plane them at the same time. Glue up solid, then bend.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Cut the joint before bending. Rough cut the two pieces by whatever works. Clamp them together and plane them at the same time. Glue up solid, then bend.

Reply to
charlie

I think you will need to worry about getting a good circle. Wood (or anything for that matter) does not naturally form an arc when bent.

I think I would try making a clamping block with a bandsaw cut in it which follows the required arc. Then bend (with steam if necesary) overlapping and clamping the ends one to the other so that the joined part is double thickness. If you had to use steam you will then have to wait and glue the overlapping ends when the wood is cool and dry, but you might be able to just bend and glue cold. You should then have a good circle and you can then taper and fair the ends by saw, plane and sander.

Hope that makes sense. Essentially don't cut a scarf, but overlap the ends then reduce the double thickness to one thickness afterwards.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Use more than one stick for each ply?

Reply to
Father Haskell

Who said anything about "plies"?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Check out the show "How It's Made". They had an episode on building drums. They showed how the scarfs were done. I think it will ans. most of your questions Hope it helps Mike

Reply to
Michael Briggs