Satisfaction evidently guaranteed...

The last issue of Workbench, from August Home Publishing arrived, and I thought it was below their usual standards. After some discussions regarding magazines, and deciding I had too many subscriptions already, I emailed their customer service site, and cancelled, telling them they could donate the balance of the sub wherever it made sense to them.

Today a check arrived, representing the unused portion of the subscription. I was somewhat surprised, and a little impressed.

August Home seems to be run by a group of honest folk. While not every one of their pubs is for me, I'm more likely to keep taking ShopNotes now, even though I doubt I'll ever build one of their baltic birch workshop wonders.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:29:56 -0500, the opaque Patriarch spake:

Why aren't you subscribing to Woodsmith instead, Glenn? It's more of a cross between ShopNotes and FWW. I swapped to WS when the SN script was up for renewal.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - --------------------------------------------------------

Web App & Database Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Woodsmith is one of the too many I get. It's a keeper, primarily for the following reason:

When one of the kids (adult kids, but mine none the less) wants to build a project, I can point them to the stack of Woodsmith back issues, and tell them to look for something in there, and see if they can understand how to build it. And then I'm willing to help them run the tools. I want it to be their project, not Pop's project. Woodsmith goes into sufficient detail that, as long as they can figure out the sharp parts of the tools, they can probably have some measure of success. My job is reduced to instruction and safety and project progress, so it doesn't clog the shop too badly.

When I want to do something for them that is creative and potentially heirloom quality (he says with no appreciable modesty, or actual basis in fact), then I want it to be on my terms, and on my schedule, and on my budget.

No, Woodsmith may stay, even when SN expires.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch