Russian or Baltic Birch Plywood?

Like what ? I've a pair of Musician Bonsais (if you remember obscure Scouse loudspeaker designs from 25 years ago) which have cases made of an organic polymer concrete. Now that's better than MDF, but it's pretty damned obscure.
For rational materials though, MDF is pretty hard to beat. It's crummy shelf-building properties actually work to its advantage for speaker cabs.
--
Smert' spamionam

can
Solid wood (well seasoned) or high quality plywood.

MDF is pretty good, it's resonance properties are predictable, and it's easy to work with, but many designers feel it sounds dull compared other choices. A lot depends on the driver choices, but I'd never build a bottom octave subwoofer out of MDF, for instance. Same with open baffle systems.

Resonance ? What are we making here, loudspeakers or violins ?

easy
choices.
I can honestly say I've never seen any MDF violins.