Russian or Baltic Birch Plywood?

|> Then there's "sonic differences" between tube amps and solid-state, |> blah blah.... | |If you can't hear the difference between tube and solid amps on a decent |quality system then you have a tin ear.

Ah, but I speak of those to whom a tube amp sounds "better." In other words, distortion is good. [g] |

Reply to
Wes Stewart

"Better" is sometimes difficult to quantify. Ultralow distortion specs don't necessarily correlate with better sound, and part of the appeal of tube amps is their second and third order harmonic distortions. I don't have any tube equipment myself, but I do find their sound quite seductive and engaging at times and I can understand why some would prefer them.

Reply to
mp

I won't claim to have heard the difference in high end wire vs. high end wire, but I COULD hear the difference (when i was into car stereo's 15 years ago) between monster cable and straight wire flex connect II interconnects. The later had a more open high end. You could better place a guitar's strings in a good Mobile Fidelity gold recording vs the montsters.

Reply to
Alan W

Be careful comparing materials used in acoustic instruments and speaker cabinets. The instrument is creating a sound, the speaker is reproducing it.

I'm with ya' there. The same goes for any other instrument amp. Tube amps have definite, unique properties, especially when overdriven. Heck, even good blues harp players use a tube amp, rather than blowing straight into a high quality vocal mic.

Many stand-up bass players specify ONLY old Ampeg tube gear when they rent amplification.

I'll end by pointing out that solid state Marshalls only caught on with collectors...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y