Running oak panelling grain horizontal vs. vertical

As mentioned in a previous post, I am adding 1/4" Oak panelling about

4 ft high around my entranceway.

I would like to use a single sheet running along the two sidewalls which are each 52" long. I can do this if I buy a 4x10 sheet (which is available), cut it in half, and run each half horizontally along the sidewalls.

However, this would make the grain run *horizontally*. Would this look "wrong" for panelling? (I am assuming that grain usually runs vertically on panelled walls)

Otherwise I would presumably need to have a seam (covered by a style) since it doesn't seem like the oak veneer plywood comes in widths wider than 4 ft and I need 4ft 4inches.

Thanks.

Reply to
blueman

Fri, Oct 19, 2007, 2:44pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (blueman) doth wonder: However, this would make the grain run *horizontally*. Would this look "wrong" for panelling?

If it will bother you, then yes, it will look wrong. If it won't bother you, then no, it won't look wrong. That was easy, wasn't it? By the way, your car color looks wrong, get it repainted.

J T

Just my 2 cents, but an undivided sheet of plywood (no matter how fancy the veneer) is still going to look like plywood. If you want it to look like pannels, you should run stiles to divide up the space (even if they are purely aesthetic and glued to the face of the sheet) This would also allow you to use a single sheet of vertically oriented ply to cover the space as some area will be consumed by stiles.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I'm not going to say it's wrong to run the grain horizontally but I wouldn't run it that way. You mention putting a stile in the middle. You could also put a stile at each end (instead of one in the middle) large enough so the 1/4" could run under it and still pick up your length.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.