Kitchen drywall installation

I'm no drywall expert, so maybe there's a reason not to do this......

I'm currently tearing my kitchen down to studs for a remodel, and I see the drywall was hung "conventionally", that is, each section has two sheets hung horizontally with a horizontal seam 4 feet up from the floor. Right between the upper and lower cabinets.

Why would someone (me??) not hang a full sheet across the middle, with a half sheet above and another half below it. I realize that's twice as many seams to tape, but my thinking is who cares, you'll never see those joints behind the cabinets. Wouldn't have to take nearly as much care to make them invisible.

Anone care to talk me out of this?? Thanks!!

Reply to
dman67

Not me!

Go for it.

Just don't change your mid later and move the kitchen around so that those "sloppy joints" show.

Oh and be ready to churn in your grave when the next guy finds them in 30 years. :)

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Well lets see, one joint in the middle at a very comfortable heighth, and one at the wall to ceiling joint, or two at a very uncomfortable couple of heighths and one at the ceiling.

I will go for standard. Try to tape something that is knee high or shoulder high once and that is enough for me.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Frank Gehry might stop there.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Why ? You wnat to be the laughing stock of alt.home.repair ?

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

Ichabod

I hope it is OK. That's how I hung mine when I ripped out the drywall.

Reply to
RayV

Did mine that way behind the cabinets when I did a remodel. My reason was the problems with the old installation. The single seam ran above the countertop and below the upper cabinets. This caused a slight bump at the seam which caused a great deal of problems installing tile as a backsplash. The seam was at the midpoint of the middle tile in a 3 tile high installation, this caused the middle tile to rock on the bump, where it either protruded out past the lower tile or the upper tile but would not fit both, causing me to have to fit shims in the glue in order to get a flat surface. What a mess, and I never liked the way the tiles looked. By installing the drywall with a full flat sheet at the mid point, the tiles fitted perfectly.

Reply to
EXT