Routing Mortises

Ok, so I can cut a decent tennon on my table saw but mortising is another question. I've cut a few by hand with drill press and chisel but the results were marginal at best. I am working on the hand chisel skills and one day I may be there but I'd like to use this joint in the mean time. I've seen a number of suggestions to use a router for mortising but I only have a fixed base router. Lowering a board onto a spinning bit (or vis-versa) scares the S*** out of me. Is it possible to cut these Safely with a fixed base or does this take a plunge router?

Thanks

Daryl

Reply to
daryl1138

It's a LOT easier with a plunge base, especially the way I do it. I use a 3/4" straight bit to cut a slot in some scrap. The scrap is screwed to another scrap at a 90 degree angle, such that when the second scrap is clamped to the side of the board to be mortised, the

3/4 slot acts as a guide for my 3/4 template guide. I then use a 1/2 straight bit to cut the mortise.

I've done a few mortises and stopped dados on the table, though, and it's not my favorite thing to do.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I have made mortises by dropping the board onto the spinning bit (table mounted) with no problems. I also have used this technique successfully to make stopped dadoes. I usually attach a stop block (clamped) at either end of the router table fence to mark the beginning and end of the mortise/stopped dadoe. I also use a spiral upcut (solid carbide) bit in the router. This helps the router bite down on the wood easier.

Reply to
stoutman

If you go this "route" (groan), be sure to either (1) use a center- cutting or "plunge" bit, or (2) keep the router in motion as the bit enters the work.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Lot less scary with a router table, a fence, and some stops.

Reply to
Swingman

Cheapest fix would be to replace the router's base with a square plate. "Plunge" by tipping the router in along one of the baseplate edges.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.