Ring on mom's pine coffee table....

Put a hot cup of tea on the coffee table and forgot about it. Now there's a white ring prominently displayed. Any hints on removing it? I'd google but I keep getting "Detecting proxy settings..." when I open up IE. (Anyone know what that means, btw?).

Gracias, JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Try coating it with mayonnaise. Let it sit for an hour or two. Wipe it up with a soft cloth.

#################### Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G (remove the 7)

Reply to
Dan G

Smear a little mayo on it and rub the daylights outa it with a soft rag.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Why does this work?

Reply to
Herman Family

'cause Mom said so, and she was right :-)

Mayo is about 1/2 vegetable oil and 1/2 egg. Not sure what the egg contributes...

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Peanut butter might work if the mayo doesn't.

The white color is probably from microscopic droplets of water in the finish.

Peanut butter absorbs moisture (that's why it sticks to the roof of your mouth.)

The peanut oil will fill the hollow bubbles left when the water leaves.

-- at least that's the theory; I don't think mayo is as hydroscopic as peanut butter.

Reply to
dave martin

The white ring is caused by moisture. The first thing I'd do is wait a few days and see if it goes away.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

essence of chicken fetus...

Reply to
Silvan

search for a file named "hosts" on you computer (usually in windows). Delete or rename it. It's a trojan.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks - I ended up going to Tools > Internet Options > Connections >

LAN Settings and unchecking all three options, as some google search advised me to do. It appears to be working. In following with the "if it's not broke, still fix it" theme of the wreck I also just did as you advised. There were actually 4 files of that nature that I deleted. Further bulletins as events warrant.

IN OTHER NEWS..... The ring on the coffee table is still visible, even after three coats of Hellman's. Any other condiments I could apply? How about waxing it or something?

Danke- JP

Reply to
Jay Pique